As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.
For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem-solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The University of Washington's Department of Immunology has an excellent opportunity for a Research Scientist Assistant.
This position will be shared by three labs, supporting research that spans the gamut from studying signaling pathways underlying immune responses to parasitic worms and allergens, micro-anatomical tissue organization and intercellular communication which generates immune response, localized effector responses in inflamed peripheral sites, how cells die, and how dying cells impact immunity.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Mouse colony maintenance of 15-20 breeding strains.
- Mouse colony records keeping.
- Mouse genotyping via PCR.
- Mouse phenotyping from blood via flow cytometry.
- Lab maintenance.
- Preparing reagents for organoid culture.
- Growing and passaging intestinal epithelial organoids.
- Testing new protocols for organoid manipulation and monolayer culture.
- Experiments testing mechanisms of tuft cell differentiation and function (depending on success of the above).
B.S. degree in biology or related discipline. Three months to one year’s experience animal handling and wet bench experience, whether in a professional or academic setting.
- Candidate should have outstanding academic and professional track record.
- Candidate should be an analytical thinker with excellent record keeping and communication skills. Must be highly disciplined and organized.
- Successful candidate will be highly self-motivated and enthusiastic about taking a hands-on approach to collaborative scientific discovery efforts.
Equivalent education and/or experience may substitute for minimum requirements.
- Must be willing and able to work with animals in a research setting.
- This is an essential position and the employee will be expected to report to work under conditions that other employees are not required to report to work, such as when the university suspends operations due to inclement weather, etc.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.