The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under minimal supervision, directs and oversees the operations of the Exum Sports, Recreation, and Physical Education Center to provide a variety of instructional, recreational sports and fitness opportunities for university students, faculty and staff. Oversees an intramural sports program and other recreational activities and ensures a safe and clean environment for Center activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Oversees the daily operation of the Exum Center including the gymnasium, swimming pool, weight room, various courts, dressing rooms, classrooms, etc.
- Compiles and monitors the operational budget for the Center. • Hires, trains, schedules and supervises staff and student workers.
- Oversees the schedule and approves all requests for facility use.
- Ensures safe and timely maintenance of all facilities and equipment.
- Conducts regular inspections of the Center to ensure a clean and safe environment; requests renovations and repairs as needed.
- Organizes and administers the campus intramural sports program.
- Develops policies and procedures as necessary for the Center operations.
- Works with external groups requesting use of facilities and administers contracts as appropriate.
- Performs other miscellaneous job-related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
(Education and Experience)
Master’s degree in Recreational Sports Management or a related field; 3-5 years of experience related to the duties and responsibilities specified, including experience administering a collegiate level intramural sports program. Current NIRSA Recreation-Sports specialist certification and American Red Cross First Aid/ CPR certificate preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Knowledge of NIRSA Recreational Guidelines.
- Knowledge of collegiate intramural sports programs.
- Organizational skills.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and related software applications.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Supervisory ability.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Strong interpersonal and skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior and/or office work environment.
- Light physical effort. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 10 pounds or some standing or walking. Effort applies to no more than two (2) hours per day.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.