I. Objective of the Position: Ensures compliance with all DOT rules/regulations not limited to testing and maintenance of records. Ensures all drivers are properly trained in safety, accident prevention, customer service, delivery procedures and DOT compliance. Participate in the review and selection of new drivers and creates and maintains proper on boarding training and evaluation processes.
ll. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, executes and maintains effective (driver) safety training programs in compliance with OSHA, FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations) and assists with developing, executing, and maintaining company policies including annual physicals, drug screening, annual reviews and driver licenses to comply with all state, federal and local laws.
- Participates in regulatory audits.
- Designs and directs programs specific to reducing accidents through safety training, skills training, proper job instruction, new employee indoctrination, job safety analysis and innovative technology.
- Ensures that driver logs are completed timely, reviews logs for compliance with Federal DOT regulations.
- Trains drivers in proper usage of electronic logging systems in trucks.
- Provides support for electronic logging problem resolution.
- Coaches, counsel’s drivers for corrective action as necessary with HR involvement to ensure consistency. Issues corrective action.
- Investigates and tracks all accidents to meet both company and FMCSR requirements associated including post-accident drug/alcohol testing, post-accident re-training. Tracks costs and injuries associated with accidents. Develops and implements safety programs designed to reduce or eliminate accidents or injury.
- Reviews driver applications, interviews driver candidates, participates in the selections process, and administers required pre-employment road tests to DOT specifications. Ensures proper training for new drivers. Maintains all required documentation. Organize participation in safety functions/events
- Coordinate special reports, projects and events related to the Safety/Loss Control Program
- Monitors quarterly safety incentive program.
- Attend appropriate training to ensure professional development in the safety field
- Other duties as assigned
III. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge/Education/Skills and/or Experience:
- High school Diploma or equivalent
- 2 years or more experience with DOT fleet compliance (federal, state and local)
- 2 years or more of supervisory experience in a transportation environment.
- 2 years or more experience managing driver safety programs.
- Thorough knowledge of transportation rules and regulations (DOT & FMSCR), tractor trailer operation.
- Must have and maintain a valid class A CDL.
- Strong computer proficiency (Word, Excel, Power Point, Data Management )
- Flatbed experience would be a plus
- Pre-employment drug screening and background check is required.
- Must be able to travel to various locations with short notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 5 years
- Transportation: 5 years
- FMCSA/DOT Regulations: 5 years