TITLE: CLINICAL ASSISTANT (Certified Medical Assistant - CMA OR Licensed Practical Nurse - LPN)
JOB FUNCTION: Performs duties related to direct patient care. Prepares room for procedures, places patients in examination rooms, ascertains pertinent medical history information, assists provider as directed in patient examination and/or treatment, and participates in patient education. Cleans, sterilizes, and wraps equipment and stocks examination rooms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates ability to consistently meet the practice work schedule.
- Receives patients according to scheduled appointment, retrieves appropriate chart prepared by check-in receptionist, places patient in examination room, and ascertains pertinent medical history information.
- Assists provider as directed in patient examination and/or treatment, participates in patient education, and charts all patient activity in a complete, accurate, legible, and timely manner.
- Cleans and organizes exam rooms between patients.
- Organize patient flow according to protocol.
- May require obtaining pre-authorization for procedures.
- Anticipates equipment/supply needs for patient examination/treatment, setting up patient treatment trays as appropriate.
- Unpacks and organizes sample medications and supplies. Restocks supplies and samples in exam rooms and nurses station, disposing of outdated items in accordance with office policy.
- Cleans and operates autoclave in sterilizing equipment and supplies. Wraps sterile equipment/supplies and reports malfunctions if appropriate.
- Records and maintains laboratory data on patient’s record and in log book. Makes follow-up calls to patients regarding laboratory results as appropriate.
- Takes or returns calls from patients, pharmacies and/or referring medical office personnel responding to inquiries as appropriate, or seeks assistance from provider to assure proper information is given.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with OSHA and CLIA regulations as they pertain to Dermatology P.C.
- Knowledgeable and compliant of HIPPA privacy standards.
- Knowledgeable of all procedures in office. Able to explain to patients.
- Cameras – settings, positioning and fill out photo log.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and is responsible for information discussed.
- Attend and complete all mandatory training requirements.
- Carryout provider orders accurately, directly and indirectly.
- Maintains awareness of workload of co-workers and offers assistance as appropriate.
- Keeps own work area clean, neat and professional in appearance. Collaborates with co-workers in keeping break and patient access areas clean.
- Demonstrate excellence in communication, decision making, and problem solving by acting as a role model and resource, positively influencing job satisfaction, in-office relationships and patient care.
- Primary duties/location may fluctuate or change on a daily basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Note: Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
It is possible that each listed duty may not be assigned to each incumbent.
Certified or Registered Medical Assistant from formal medical assistant program and/or current RN or LPN license in Iowa. Current CPR and Mandatory Reporter certifications. Previous Medical Assistant or RN/LPN experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Ability to read and write legibly and understand/follow written and verbal directions.
Manual dexterity required for preparing for and administering patient care.
Auditory acuity required for receiving verbal communications from patients and physicians.
Ability to work under stress, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and keep track of details.
Must possess good judgment and decision making abilities.
Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
Must be a self-starter with high levels of initiative.
Ability to retrieve from alpha filing systems.
This description is intended to provide basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Job Type: Full-time
- Certified Medical Assistant or Licensed Practical Nurse: 1 year (Preferred)
- Certified Medical Assistant or Licensed Practical Nurse (Preferred)