We are looking for passionate data scientists and researchers to building next generation forecasting models and algorithms for Walmart. Forecasts drive $200 B + inventory replenishment's annually. Improved forecasts will help drive down the inventory days of supply and reduce waste – savings measured in billions of dollars – while improving our in-stock rates and customer satisfaction. Supply chain efficiency is key in today’s competitive markets, and it all starts with forecasting.
Effectively predicting demand involves learning both from past sales and a host of other factors, e.g., weather, demographics, event calendars, SNAP calendars, etc.. Doing this at Walmart scale – over 500 million store-item combinations - makes it one of the largest and most challenging problems of its kind in the world while also being one of the most impact. Talk to us to if you are interested in taking up the challenge.
As a Staff Data Scientist you will play a unique role in driving the future of the next generation forecasting models researching, designing and implementing cutting edge algorithms. Responsibilities include:
- Working independently to conduct advanced statistical analysis providing actionable insights, identify trends, and measure performance
- Design and build learning systems that react to changes in customer preferences using advanced machine learning and statistical techniques
- Identify opportunities for improving algorithms and processes from the perspectives of accuracy, stability, and scalability and develop associated solutions
- Collaborate with engineers to implement and deploy scalable solutions
- Provide thought leadership by researching best practices, extending and creating new machine learning and statistical methodologies, conducting experiments, and collaborating with leaders from industry and academia to address various forecast-related issues, e.g., item / store clustering
- PhD in statistics, machine learning, or related technical discipline with 3+ years of experience
- Experience in areas such as data-driven statistical modeling, robust statistics, feature extraction and analysis, supervised learning.
- Proficient in R or Python, SQL. C/C++ preferred.
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Inquisitiveness and desire to learn.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data and understand root cause.
- Forecasting experience in an online and/or retail environment is preferred
- Good written and verbal communication skills
The Walmart eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in technology, merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are reimagining the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.
- A Staff Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets to develop multiple custom models and algorithms to drive innovative business solutions. Staff Data Scientists work on large project teams in order to provide analytical support and guidance to an assigned area on for large projects (for example, email targeting, business optimization, consumer recommendations) within Walmart eCommerce. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for building large data sets from multiple sources in order to build algorithms for predicting future data characteristics. Those algorithms will be tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for training the algorithms so they can be applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search results. Staff Data Scientists are responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical skills to support their assigned project. Staff Data Scientists are the subject matter experts for statistical analysis and modeling for their project team.
Build complex data sets from multiple data sources, both internally and externally.
Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data flows and offline data analysis.
Collaborate with cross-functional partners across the business.
Collaborate with project teams to implement data modeling solutions.
Combine data features to determine search models.
Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and significant data relationships.
Develop models of current state in order to determine improvements needed.
Develop multiple custom data models to drive innovative business solutions.
Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects
Ensures business needs are being met
Interpret data to identify trends to go across future data sets.
Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates
Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
Translate business needs into data requirements.
Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R, Matlab,ILog).
Validate models and algorithmic techniques.