Family living in Highland Park, Illinois (north shore suburb of Chicago) with 5, 7, 9 year old boys is seeking an educated, experienced, professional, organized, meticulous and detail oriented full-time nanny/house manager to manage a busy family and household. Schedule will be approximately 40 hours per week on five out of seven days per week (including weekdays and weekends). When scheduled on weekdays, shifts will typically be 11:00am-7:00pm. Nanny will receive two consecutive days off per week. Family will ensure nanny has schedule at least two weeks in advance. Flexibility is required with scheduling as last minute trips and events occasionally arise. Nanny should be comfortable working many days consecutively (e.g., if traveling for two+ weeks at a time). Nanny is required to travel internationally and domestically approximately 6-8+ weeks per year and work overnights when principals are traveling without children approximately 2-3+ weeks annually. Extreme flexibility is required for the position. Family has staff vehicle for transporting children and running errands, but nanny will need vehicle to get to and from work daily. Nanny must be comfortable working with three dogs. Nanny/House Manager must be collaborative to work with domestic staff (e.g., full-time housekeeper) and directly with principals on a daily basis (mother is stay-at-home mom that is busy and on many boards), warm, nurturing, calm confidence and demeanor, discreet, assertive, proactive, resourceful, self starter, organized, detail oriented, hard working, service focused, kind, professional, ability to multi-task and wear many hats and capable of maintaining discretion. Candidates must have previous experience in similar position(s) that include nanny experience along with highly detailed house management and family assistant responsibilities. Family is open to local candidates and domestic relocations, as long as nanny has connection to Chicago/Illinois and will enjoy living and working in location long term. Start date is flexible for the right candidate.
- Experienced with play-based learning and creating educational activities (e.g., planned engaging activities at home, developmentally appropriate games and activities, engaging projects and crafts, scheduled outings, etc.)
- Knowledgeable about child development (e.g., firm when necessary and capable of teaching children manners and etiquette, but also capable of being laid back and fun)
- Support teaching and reinforcement of manners and other social skills
- Provide developmentally appropriate games and activities, engaging projects and crafts at home and schedule/plan fun outings and events
- Assist children with homework, school projects, studying for tests, etc. and keep parents informed of progress and needs
- Transporting children to and from school, activities, play dates, camps, etc.
- Fresh and healthy meal planning and preparation for family
- Pack children's healthy lunches and bags for the following day (e.g., ensure all school work is completed, pack gear for sports and activities, etc.)
- Pack and unpack children for trips and travel (create pack lists in advance to ensure children have everything needed for travel)
- Research and plan activities at travel destination and ensure appropriate gear is available at other residence, hotel or resort
- Inventory checklists for household items, food, children's essentials, principals' essentials, etc. and order through Amazon, Instacart, etc.
- Event planning for children's themed birthday parties and other events (e.g., plan, organize and oversee flawless execution day of event)
- Maintain comprehensive household manuals setting priorities for tasks on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Maintain file systems including those for household operations, warranty manuals, household equipment, invitations, entertainment logs, etc.
- Maintain contacts lists that include family members, friends, vendors, contractors, businesses, etc.
- Management responsibilities of 10,000 square foot single family home
- Schedule and oversee vendors and contractors (e.g., winterizing irrigation system for winter, seasonal landscaping displays, interior design projects, etc.)
- Run errands (e.g., shopping for home supplies, returns, purchasing school supplies for beginning of school year and needed throughout the year, purchasing gifts for birthday parties children are attending, and other requested items)
- Handling things around the home (e.g., receiving deliveries, service providers, contractors, sending emails, going through mail and sorting bills and junk, etc.)
- Organizational projects (e.g., children's bedrooms, playrooms (books, toys, crafts, etc.), closets, rotating clothes seasonally, getting rid of outgrown toys and clothing, taking things for donation, etc.)
- Assist domestic staff with projects when necessary, creating a collaborative and team environment
- Ensure pantry, refrigerator, wine cellar and fridges are properly stocked in accordance with principals and children's travel and entertaining schedules
- Maintain vehicles, fill gas tank, take for service appointments and keep accurate records of services completed
- Assistance with dogs (e.g., boarding prior to family travel, walking and letting out, feeding, routine groomer and veterinary appointments, etc.)
- Manage family and household schedules and calendars
- Schedule and maintain calendars for children, register for sports/activities/camps/etc., planning play dates and outings with friends, etc.
- Manage household petty cash (including proper documentation) and submission of house/staff credit card purchases and receipts
- Assistance with travel arrangements and ensuring all logistics are planned in advance
- Schedule meeting with principal(s) as needed to discuss their schedule, children's schedules, travel plans, upcoming events, special projects, etc.
- Capable of building rapport with similar aged children (school aged, pre-teens, teenagers, etc.)
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically whenever necessary
- Highly organized, detail oriented, proactive, excellent time management, efficient and service focused
- Attentive to principals' preferences and style (intuitive to their needs)
- Observant to the needs of family and home to anticipate their needs
- Ability to maintain discretion (confidentiality agreement is required)
- Ability to be discreet with respect for employer’s privacy
- Professional presentation of self and great personality
- Ability to develop and maintain solid working relationships with service providers, contractors and vendors
- Ability to work collaboratively with vendors and oversee projects
- Ability to easily take direction
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with principals (extension of parents and consistent childcare philosophies) and domestic employees
- Strong technology skills and experienced working with Macintosh
- Positive attitude and ability to handle position with ease and calm demeanor
- Active and fit (e.g., swimming, snow ski, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education or Early Childhood Development is most ideal, but bachelor's degree is required
- Experienced working with at least three or four children (similar in ages and/or multiples) in nanny position
- Passionate about education, child development, etc.
- 2-5+ years of full-time consistent and recent domestic experience working as a nanny/house manager/family assistant
- 3-4 references from domestic positions
- Seeking longevity (e.g., 2-5+ year commitment)
- Live a close proximity to the family's residence in Highland Park, Illinois (north shore suburb of Chicago)
- Ability to swim and snow ski (beginner level only required for skiing)
- Ability to complete extensive background checks, motor vehicle checks, drug tests and psychological evaluation
- Driver's license and clean driving record
- Vaccinations (e.g., MMR, TDap, Flu shot)
- Safe vehicle for transportation (necessary for driving to and from work daily)
- $80K+ gross annual salary (based on experience and qualifications)
- $400-500 per month gross health insurance stipend
- Three weeks (15 days) paid vacation
- Discretionary annual bonus and raise (performance evaluation required)
Please read the job description carefully and kindly apply with your cover letter, resume, references (email address and phone number) and letter(s) of recommendation if you meet all of the requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 - $90,000.00 per year
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- full-time nanny: 2 years (Required)
- Driver's license and clean driving record (Required)
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Holidays required