What You Will Do:
Under the direct supervision of a registered nurse, performs delegated patient care functions of an uncomplicated nature. Uses the nursing care plan in providing care. Fulfillment of job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas and to transport medications to/ from medication storage and delivery areas.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Establishes and maintains courteous and effective relationships with patients, visitors, co-workers, and other members of the health care team; demonstrates sensitivity and awareness to the needs of patients, visitors and co-workers and responds promptly to verbal and/or written instructions.
2. Takes, records, and reports patient's vital signs which include blood pressure, temperature, respiration, and/or pulse on a scheduled basis; weighs patient and records data; observes patient condition for signs/symptoms consistent with illness.
3. Identifies, records, and reports observations to the Registered Nurse concerning the physical and mental condition of a patient.
4. Bathes, dresses, and assists patients in their daily, personal hygiene care; turns and positions; responds to patient call-lights, as needed; changes bed linens, and keeps patients' room supplies replenished.
5. Performs related duties associated with basic patient care, such as picking-up blood, delivering specimen to laboratory, performing minor housekeeping and escorting patients when assigned by nursing staff.
6. Initiates C.P.R. procedure.
7. Applies aseptic technique when carrying out patient care procedures or following unit protocols that require sterile conditions.
8. Performs uncomplicated treatments such as:
A. Applying external urinary catheters,
B. Giving enemas,
9. Gathers equipment and performs fingerstick and blood glucose testing (accu-check).
10. Sets up and operates multiple lead EKG machines; attaches and removes EKG leads; runs a rhythm strip.
11. Performs peripheral venipuncture for drawing blood samples and establishing IV access.
12. Attends all mandatory hospital in-services including CPR training.
13. Performs related duties, as required.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Completion of a High School level of coursework with the attainment of High School diploma or a State High School Equivalency Certificate (GED).
Nursing Assistant Certification required.
Successful completion of a nursing assistant's program or equivalent work experience as a nursing assistant.
Six months of prior direct, patient care work experience in a health care facility is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.