DEPUTY CORPORATION COUNSEL – ADMINISTRATIVE/HUMAN RESOURCES,
The City of Chicago Office of the Corporation Counsel is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Administrative Deputy Corporation Counsel – Human Resources. The successful candidate will serve as a senior member of the law department under the direction of the Corporation Counsel responsible for supervising, coordinating, planning, and directing the Human Resources functions of the department including all activities pertaining to budget, inventory control, personnel, recruiting, and payroll. The selected candidate will be responsible for the management and oversight of the administrative services staff and performs other related duties as required.
- Responsible for the management and supervision of the administrative services staff which includes personnel, information technology, recruiting, finance, and facilities management operations. Oversee the departments legal case management system, to include the selection and implementation of a department platform.
- Responsible for drafting and regularly updating law department standard operating procedures on personnel matters, to include the development of onboarding process and procedures for new employees, recruiting, finance, personnel, and facilities management operations.
- Responsible for implementing the Corporation Counsel's diversity recruiting and hiring goals and ensuring that all Office of Budget Management (OBM), Department of Human Resources (DHR), and Office of Inspector General (OIG) hiring rules, policies, and procedures are followed.
- Responsible for communicating to Law Department employees the policies and procedures promulgated by the Mayor's Office, OBM, DHR, OIG, Department of Finance, or any other city department, and ensure such policies and procedures are followed by all Law Department employees. Familiarity with Family Medical Leave Act laws and procedures.
- Responsible for the management and oversight of the submission of the Law Department's annual budget together with Finance staff and preparation of the Corporation Counsel for the annual budget hearing. Coordinate the inter-departmental transfer of funds.
- Monitor the Law Department’s spending to ensure that the department stays within its allotted funding and has funding available to achieve the Department’s goals.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Human Resources or Business Management.
- Juris Doctorate
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive Human Resources management experience with emphasis on operations, budget, training, development, and a big picture strategic mindset.
- 10+ years legal and management/executive level experience.
- Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management and ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of employee relations, training and development, benefits, compliance, risk assessment, and talent management.
- Sound business acumen, with excellent critical thinking abilities, strong consultative, mentoring, coaching skills.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and able to think creatively and independently.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills which convey candor, confidence, and the ability to influence others in a poised and effective manner, both written and verbally.
- Exceptional listening skills and ability to handle challenging situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once, manage changing priorities and embrace agility, while conveying calm and confidence.
- A strong sense of discretion, professionalism and use of good judgment while working with confidential and sensitive information.
Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter by no later than 11:59 p.m. on Friday, August 13, 2021.
Applications received via email will be the ONLY applications considered. Phone calls, or other contacts will NOT be considered.
Salary: $143,976 annually
All employees of the City of Chicago must be residents of the City of Chicago as outlined in Chicago Municipal Code Section 2-152-050. Proof of residency will be required.
All employees of the City of Chicago must demonstrate commitment to and compliance with applicable state and federal laws, City ordinances and rules, City Ethics standards, and other City policies and procedures
City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
This posting is for internal and external applicants.
Application Closing Date – August 13, 2021.
Materials received after the closing date will not be considered. Early submission is strongly encouraged.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $143,976.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Legal: 10 years (Required)
- Illinois License to practice law (Required)