Opening Fall 2023 in Manhattan's Community School District 6 (CSD 6), American Dream Charter School II (ADCS II) will be a free, dual-language (Spanish/English) public charter school open to all age-and grade-eligible students residing in New York City, with preference given to residents of CSD 6 and English Language Learners. During the inaugural year, ADCS II will serve students in Kindergarten and 1st grade. Our goal is to add an additional grade level each year and by 2027, ADCS II will serve 450 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade.
The mission of the American Dream Charter School II is to develop academic excellence in both Spanish and English, preparing students to excel in middle and high school and become leaders in their communities.
Summary of Role
The American Dream School seeks a dynamic and strategic Founding Director of Operations to oversee the opening of a new campus. During the 2022-2023 planning year, the Founding Director of Operations will spend time becoming familiar with American Dream Charter School’s approach to operations and school culture by be based from and supporting ADCS Middle and High School campuses in the Bronx. The Founding Director of Operations position will require supporting a variety of special projects led by the Executive Director and Chief of Staff. The ideal candidate for this position is flexible, an excellent problem-solver, and extremely proactive.
The Founding Director of Operations reports to the Executive Director and Chief of Staff and is responsible for all matters of school management that do not directly relate to instruction or student behavior. The Founding Director of Operations is an integral member of the primary leadership team, overseeing day-to-day operations at the school, managing administrative staff and ensuring implementation and maintenance of clear systems, which result in the exemplary school operations.
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
- Strong time and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate
- Ability to work with minimal directions
- Excellent judgment, reasoning and follow-up skills
- Confident and poised in interactions with both internal and external senior executives
- Hard working, motivated and self-directed—able to think critically
- Familiarity and experience with Google Suite, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to work well under pressure, while maintaining a positive attitude
Duties and Responsibilities
Accountability & Compliance
- Prepare and gather documentation required by the New York State Education, Department and other governmental agencies
- Ensure that the school has a comprehensive medical policy for students
- Ensure that the school has an emergency protocol and safety plan in place
- Ensure that the school satisfies all National School Lunch Program requirements
- Create systems to track issues, report the status of issues and escalate the issue when necessary.
- Develop organizational systems at the school site in support of the vision, mission, and values of the school.
Management and Leadership
- Support the development of comprehensive operational policies and procedures, and research best practices for operations
- Actively serve on the school’s primary leadership team
- Plan for Operations team building
- Directly co-supervise the operations managers and, more broadly, all operations team membersIn the absence of an OM, DOO should be able to step in and act as an OM sub on occasion.
- Research vendors for a variety of school services
- Prepare draft invoices entering General Education and Special Education data for review and final submission by Chief of Staff.
- Prepare draft budget narratives for Title Funding applications.
- Join standing meetings with the Chief of Staff and the School’s accounting team being responsible for Credit Card Spending and receipt management.
- Develop student recruitment strategies and manage recruitment efforts
- Ensure the lottery is conducted according to the school’s enrollment policy
- Ensure the waitlist is built according to the school’s enrollment policy
- Monitor student applications during enrollment season
- Prepare promotional materials
- Plan recruitment events and is present at recruitment events representing ADS
- Ensure the campus’s physical conditions are well kept, including shared spaces
- Manage custodial personnel and third-party contracts for trash removal, recycling, and security
- Hire and manage contractors/organizations who provide facility services to the school
- Maintain the school’s chosen student information management system
- Corresponds regularly with families regarding school policies, trips, events, and milestones.
- Civil Rights Reporting
Technology & Systems
- Must have working knowledge of ATS
- Assist in the setup and management of school data systems and schedules/programs.
- Ensure that the school is in compliance with all state, federal, and local data privacy and security regulations.
- Ensure that the school has a fully functional technology structure
- Keep track of various tech related (software, academic applications, time and attendance system, etc.) contracts, services and licenses of applications and systems the school uses and prepare for renewal to prevent lapses in service.
- Ensure all NYSITELL, NYSESLAT and NYS exams are ordered
- Organize and facilitate orientations for new and returning families
- Build and maintain school partnerships with businesses and community leaders.
- Represent school at various charter school events/meetings.
- Work with staff members to assist in the preparation for and running of school-wide events, including Back to School Night and Parent Teacher Conferences, by ensuring that all set-up, coordination, and breakdown is complete.
Compensation: Competitive package, including benefits and retirement plan.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the role and outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Founding Director of Operations position. In addition, please describe how the mission of the American Dream School speaks to you.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 - $95,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location