- Professional Engineering license, or 12+ years of related engineering experience including a minimum of 3 years of data center design experience.
- 7+ years of commercial or industrial mechanical HVAC design experience.
- Experience developing design documentation (plans, specifications, etc.) for construction and/or permitting.
Amazon Web Services is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to become part of a global engineering team, responsible for the design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center foot print.
Engineers at Amazon work to design resilient, cost effective mechanical distribution systems. As engineers at Amazon we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to Sr Management and work hard to drive continuous advancements and improvements with our designs. As an engineer at Amazon you have the ability to drive change and define/design the systems our customers rely on.
Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences. Amazon’s work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
If you are a creative, smart and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems we want YOU! At Amazon you will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
We are looking for engineers with hands on mechanical design experience. If you can design a mechanical system, have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for a data center, and understand the constructability of varying designs you may be a good fit. As we grow we are structuring our team to own more of our engineering in house. Engineers will be responsible for taking designs from concept to the permit and construction document set. You must be capable of defining critical equipment specifications and approving equipment submittals. Engineers will directly support construction and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and ultimately turnover. You will be relied on as a subject matter expert in the mechanical engineering field. At Amazon we do highly support continued learning opportunities and focus on continued employee development.
At Amazon team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As a mechanical engineer at Amazon you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
Amazon has a global presence. As this position is based out of Virginia, travel to our head office in Seattle will be required. Travel should be up to 20% of your time, initially between Virginia and Seattle. International support will be part of the job, and some international travel will be necessary. Support could consist of working on international teams and could require developing detailed schematic design packages. An understanding of international mechanical design requirements is helpful but not necessary.
Responsibilities of the Mechanical Engineer
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support the data center.
- Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
- Participate in site selection reviews.
- Data center mechanical designs and collaboration with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
- Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
- Work with regional vendors and manufactures to specify the appropriate mechanical equipment.
- Work with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with city/county requirements and building codes.
- Review and approval of equipment submittals.
- Define project scopes and provide technical support for information requests during construction phases.
- Work with commissioning teams to properly validate installation, operation, and performance of mechanical systems.
- Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
- Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, engineering evaluations, mechanical systems audits, and startup as needed.
- Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
- Professional engineering license.
- Excellent understanding of international mechanical code requirements.
- In depth understanding of critical data center mechanical equipment.
- Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
- Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
- Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
- Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/construction.
- An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality and reliability.
- Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
- 3+ years of experience directly related to data center or high density cooling designs.
- Detailed understanding of high volume air handling systems and controls, high capacity chilled water systems and controls, economization solutions and direct/indirect evaporative cooling systems.
- Direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of data centers.
- Basic understanding of electrical system components and designs.
- Previous design consultant negotiation and management skills associated with design and project execution.
- Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, BOCA, NFPA and OSHA.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/Age