Founded in 1997, Maesa is the world's largest independent beauty brand incubator. Maesa operates two categories of business – exclusive brands for mass, drug and specialty retailers and outsourcing for beauty brands. Maesa partners with over 80 global customers such as Sephora, Urban Outfitters, Target, Ulta, Parlux, Ralph Lauren, Sally Beauty, Banana Republic, Walmart, H&M, and Zara. Launching over 4,000 proprietary products per year, Maesa delivers marketing and white space analysis creating proprietary design, product development, speed-to-market, cost savings, and resource efficiencies. Vertically integrated with marketing, design, engineering, product development/formulation and regulatory, Maesa has mastered "commercializing creativity" servicing the fundamental revolutionary change in the beauty industry. Headquartered in New York and Paris, with additional offices in Los Angeles, Vienna, Dubai, Hong Kong, and Dongguan, Maesa employs over 300 team members worldwide with over 150 employees in the US.
The R&D Manager main responsibility is to lead the technical development of new formulas across several categories, with a focus on multiple brands in hair care. These products include cleansing, conditioning, and styling sku's in brands ranging from mass to prestige, including naturals formulations. . Partnering with Marketing, the R&D Manager writes briefs for each new innovation, then partners with outside manufacturing labs to ensure quality product that meets or exceeds industry standards. This role will own the technical development, validation, scale up, and commercialization of all new product SKU's. She/He should have an extensive understanding of formula development as well as timelines, operations and manufacturing. The person will need to provide technical guidance and troubleshooting for batch and fill processes, both during lab development and production scale-up.
- Lead formula development while taking into account budgets and timing
- Partner with Marketing to write the Product Development Brief, evaluate benchmark and desired performance claims
- Primary contact with labs to initiate new brief
- Directly own formula development timeline: Initiate request, track submission, evaluate samples, redirect labs when needed
- Partner with regulatory to ensure formula compliancy
- Directly own and track stability testing
- Oversee production batching process
- Take the lead on any reformulation needs/trouble shoot issues
- Provide technical support to product development from an overall branding perspective
- Keep abreast of latest manufacturing capabilities and material innovations, technology driven raw materials and ingredients
- Partner with marketing on ideation and potential opportunities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; must be self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, and the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Strength at timeline management, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be willing to travel.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree – Chemistry, Engineering or related field of study
- 5+ years of beauty industry or transferrable R&D experience preferred
- Strong communication skills and adept negotiating/influencing competencies.