Duke University Hospital has an opening for a Pharmacy Tech I working within the IV Room, 2nd shift 3:00 PM-11:30 PM
General Job Description:
Perform under supervision a variety of technical duties related to the preparing and dispensing of drugs according to standard procedure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use of aseptic technique in the preparation of compounded sterile products (including chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition).
- Fill physician orders/prescriptions, medication carts, or stock requisitions.
- Answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate personnel.
- Working Knowledge of Baxter Repeater and EM 2400 compounders.
- Familiarity with USP 797 and USP 800 guidelines.
- Familiarity with EPIC Dispense Prep functionality is a plus.
- Maintain logs, records, and other required documentation. File documentation in the appropriate location.
- Complete and document all assigned medication storage area inspections at least monthly.
- Identify and replace outdated and unusable drugs.
- Monitor assigned quality improvement indicators of individual or departmental performance.
- Stock medications and supplies; package medications as required for dispensing.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent and completion of a certified pharmacy technician training program or acceptance into pharmacy school or two years experience acquired on the job (hospital setting preferred)
Experience: Prefers someone with IV experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: Must be eligible for registry with the NC Board of Pharmacy
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of drug names, basic math, medical terminology, basic computer skills.
- Ability to compound medications and admix intravenous products including antineoplastic drugs under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- pharmacy tech: 1 year (Preferred)
- non-sterile compounding lab: 1 year (Preferred)
- PTCB (Required)
- Sterile compounding (Preferred)