The Gersh Organization is dedicated to changing the lives of children on the autism spectrum. Our team of professionals is committed to providing opportunities, inspiration, and guidance for every child to reach their full potential, regardless of the challenges they face. With our family of programs in various locations on Long Island, Puerto Rico, and Washington, Gersh is the leading provider of educational and support services for children on the autism spectrum and their families.
The School Nurse will be responsible for assessing the health needs of students; developing emergency care plans and individual health plans, incorporating input from parent and/or physician; complying with the laws relating to student health, including parental and guardian consent; providing health information and serving as a resource to parents, teachers, staff, and administrators; and identifying health problems for referral for proper treatment.
Duties and responsibilities
· Administers first aid to staff / students, medication and specialized medical treatments for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children in accordance with State laws and District policies.
· Maintains student’s confidential files and records (e.g. health care plans, agency referrals, accident reports, immunization records, etc.) for
· Maintains contact with parents/guardians for the purpose of advising them of changes in student health and/or recommending further medical and/or emotional intervention.
· Administers mandated screenings (e.g. vision, dental, hearing, etc.) for the purpose of referring medical conditions and/or providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children.
· Assesses situations involving students' safety, abuse (physical, sexual, drug, etc.) and other health related issues for the purpose of identifying problems, referring for proper treatment and complying with legal requirements.
· Collaborates with agencies and other school safety team members to conduct site assessments (e.g. health issues, student health records, emergency preparedness, building/grounds environments, building facilities, etc.) for the purpose of identifying issues and/or providing recommendations for improving safety and accessibility.
· Collaborates with parents, students, teachers, staff, health care providers, and/or public agencies for the purpose of promoting and/or securing student health services, providing information and complying with legal requirements.
· Counsels students and families on health conditions and lifestyle issues (e.g. mental health, pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, substance abuse, etc.) for the purpose of facilitating a healthier student population.
· Develops individual student health care and emergency care plans for students with special care needs for the purpose of providing direction to site personnel and/or implementing directions provided by parents and/or physicians.
· Implements health care plans for students with health problems for the purpose of meeting the needs of students with chronic health problems and/or accommodation requirements.
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a licensed practical nurse LPN
· Experience in pediatrics and/or public health nursing
· Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred
· Currently licensed by the State of Washington; and CPR/First Aid Certificate/BLS
· Location: Issaquah, NY
· Monday – Friday / 9:00am – 3:00pm
· Occasional before and after school work hours as needed
· Ability to sit for long periods
· Ability to move freely throughout building with no restrictions
· Ability to handle aggressive children
· Must be able to keep students safe from themselves and others and in some cases may need to implement CPI procedures
· Must be able to remove oneself from potentially harmful situations and in some cases be able to lift a child
Job Type: Part-time