Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). Among the top medical centers in the United States, and ranked as the number 1 hospital in Washington State, as rated by U.S. News & World Report 2019-2020 "America's Best Hospitals", UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well as its pioneering medical advances. UWMC is operated by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine.
The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. As an employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please click here..
The UWMC Occupational Therapy Clinic has an outstanding opportunity for a Patient Services Specialist 1-Trainee or PSS 2 (Full-Time, Day Shifts). The Patient Services Specialist (PSS) demonstrates service excellence standards in independently performing the following support services: reception and scheduling appointments; coordinate care with other services; check-in patients; coordinate referral process; coordinate medical records; verify insurance benefits; obtain and verify registration information; collect time-of-service payments; perform other necessary activities to maintain clinic operations.
This PSS is for the OP Therapy Clinic, which includes Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Language Pathology services.
Job Duties & Performance Standards
- Employ excellent customer service skills.
- Ensure smooth patient flow.
- Review clinic schedule daily.
- Obtain patient demographic information and insurance information.
- Provide general patient services.
- Respond to patients’ needs and concerns as appropriate. Investigate complaints and works with office manager to find solutions.
- May accept and process patient payments (co-pays, deposits, etc.)
- Schedule appointments consistent with patient needs and clinic scheduling guidelines.
- Assemble and send appointment and other information.
- Maintain current and accurate system by entering canceled and rescheduled appointments.
- Coordinate and schedule ancillary appointments and consult appointments.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of provider and clinic schedules.
- Answer the telephone in a professional, courteous, and efficient manner according to UWMC telephone service standards; direct calls as appropriate.
- Using clinic guidelines, gather information on the telephone re: the nature of the patient concern. Triage calls to appropriate staff; obtain necessary information for the return call; initiate emergency procedure when necessary, use appropriate documentation tools.
- Communicate information on medical center programs to patients, referral agencies, University departments, physicians and the community.
- Communicate basic information to patients such as insurance, parking, driving directions, etc.
- Manage referral queue.
- Obtain necessary insurance plan information.
- Maintain ongoing documentation and tracks authorized referrals.
- Ensure that all referrals are properly linked to appointments.
Medical Record Activities
- Review daily schedules to identify required medical record requests.
- Order, coordinate, and distribute medical records as needed.
- Prepare medical record according to clinic-specific procedures for patient visit.
- Assemble and maintain satellite medical records according to clinic specific procedures.
- Initiate fee sheet upon patient arrival to clinic.
- Track fee sheet according to clinic guidelines to ensure that all services are billed.
- Audit fee sheets for completeness and accuracy and processes and submit to appropriate charge coordinator daily according to clinic guidelines.
- Review, correct and re-submit charge documents on a daily basis as necessary according to clinic guidelines.
- Assist in orientating and training new staff.
- Review email daily to stay current with clinic communication.
- Maintain the physical environment for safety of staff and patients and for aesthetic presentation of the area (for example, organizing the waiting room furniture and magazine area.)
- Respond to facility and environmental emergencies according to established procedures.
- Inventory and order office supplies and forms.
- Sort and distribute faxes and mail on a daily basis.
- Ensure daily functioning of office equipment.
- Utilize on-line resources as required according to clinic practice and within University guidelines.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Patient Services Specialists are hired as either PSS 1-Trainee or PSS 2, depending on experience and qualifications. The requirements are:
- PATIENT SERVICES SPECIALISTS 1-TRAINEE REQUIREMENTS: High School graduation or equivalent AND one year of experience in a health care setting OR two years of general office experience OR equivalent education/experience.
- PATIENT SERVICES SPECIALISTS 2 REQUIREMENTS: High School graduation or equivalent AND one year of experience in a health care setting OR three years of general office or customer services experience OR equivalent education/experience.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.