Job Summary: Performs phlebotomy procedures on in-patients, outpatients, and non-patients; organizes blood collection work, processes blood specimens, and trains new employees and students.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RESPONSIBILITIES % OF TIME
1. Technical Procedures: Responsible for venipuncture and capillary procedures for in-patients and out-patients on STAT, timed and routine requests. Obtains appropriate specimens for testing to ensure accurate and timely results. Performs bleeding times and tolerances and instructs OP on proper collection of urine and stool specimens. Evaluates workflow and adjusts accordingly. Performs appropriate documentation. Is aware of resources and works efficiently to prevent waste. Performs proper operation of glucose meter with QC and documentation. 50%
2. Information Handling: Responsible for use of laboratory/hospital computers according to policy/procedure in ordering/receiving/canceling tests. Responsible for disposition of laboratory reports by faxing, mailing, and calling of requested lab reports. Maintains patient confidentiality per established policies. 15%
3. Communication/Customer Service: Communicates information to supervisor/pathologist, coworkers or students, lab staff on other shifts, outside departments, accurately, timely, clearly, and professionally. Follows through on communications, responds as appropriate. Answers lab phones, directs parties or gives appropriate information. Communicates with physicians, nurses, and patients to assist them with their needs. Maintains good rapport with peers, management, physicians, and hospital staff. 15%
4. Compliance/Safety: s aware of and follows laboratory and hospital policies/procedures. Informs Supervisor of issues or problems involving lab or hospital safety. Maintains a safe work environment. Completes all mandatory education and participates in available continuing education programs. Works to meet department Performance Improvement goals. 10%
5. Accessioning/Pour-Off: Performs front-window accessioning, pour-off, and registration duties according to established policy. Keeps current with all policy revisions. Strives to meet established turn-around time goals. Maintains proper patient identification through all processes. 10%
Performs other job duties and responsibilities as required.
Skills: Knowledge/Skills: Must have ability to use standard office equipment (telephones, fax machines, computer terminals, etc.). Must possess good communication and organization skills. Must be able to work efficiently under stressful conditions and time constraints.
Other: Must maintain strict confidentiality of work related information. Work Demands/Environment: Frequent standing, walking, sitting, bending, stooping. May require lifting or moving items up to 50 lbs. Frequent use of finger/hand dexterity and eye/hand coordination. Frequent reaching with hands/arms. Corrected hearing and vision to normal range. Requires visual acuity and normal color perception needed for interpretation of lab orders and proper collection technique. Exposure to blood, body fluids or tissue. Possible exposure to infectious materials, toxic substances, biohazardous materials, communicable diseases and/or other conditions common to a laboratory environment. Normal laboratory environment.
May be required to take call and/or work weekends/holidays based on the needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. - Required Must have ability to use standard office equipment (telephones, fax machines, computer terminals, etc.).
- Required Must maintain strict confidentiality of work related information.
- Required Must possess good communication and organization skills. Must be able to work efficiently under stressful conditions and time constraints.
- Required One year hospital experience (including venipuncture experience) - Highly desired: 1 Years
5am-130pm collecting inpatients and sometimes OR
7am-3:30 collecting outpatients and every other weekend.
All is dayshift but need candidate to be flexible with start times between 5am and 7am
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $37.00 per hour
- Phlebotomist: 1 year (Required)
- Venipuncture: 1 year (Preferred)