Organization: Vision Change Win (VCW)
Position: Managing Director
Reports to: Founding Director
FLSA: Exempt (Regular, Full Time)
Direct Reports: Operations Coordinator, Communications Associate
Location: New York, NY (preferred); Atlanta, GA; Bay Area, CA;
Required Travel: 10 - 20% annually
Salary Range: $70,000 - $85,000 Annually Commensurate with Experience
Start Date: January 15, 2020
Vision Change Win (VCW) is a Black-led social justice consultancy that has brought together a team of queer and trans people of color social justice consultants dedicated to supporting organizations and movements in deepening their impact and more effectively manifesting their visions and values. . VCW delivers practical support to social justice organizations in the areas of organizational sustainability and resilience, political strategy, conflict transformation, transformative strategy, and community safety. Over the past five years, Vision Change Win has worked with over 100 clients, over 3,000 social change leaders, and our work has supported organizations in over 25 countries. As VCW is being called to increase its impact and expand its work, there is a need to deepen and refine its operational practices.
About the Position
As Vision Change Win’s new Managing Director, reporting to the Founding Director, you’ll ensure that VCW’s day to day activities run smoothly. The Managing Director is responsible for human resources, operations, financial management, the client intake process, and supporting with organization-wide planning and program development.
In this role you’ll really get to focus on alignment and ensuring that VCW’s values show up within its organizational culture, how people are treated, how clients and partners are treated, and how to run an efficient, impactful, and exciting organization. As the newest member of the #humblegenius team, you’ll have a deep attention to detail, appetite for self and organizational growth, a passion for liberation movements, and courageous yet compassionate communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Operations and Team Support
· Serve on the Leadership Team and coordinate organizational planning, tracking, and reporting processes
· Implement systems to support Consulting Team Mates to provide high quality support to social change organizations
· Create internal processes that improve VCW’s time and financial efficiency (e.g. internal communications, financial reporting systems)
· Create and implement organizational-wide training, development opportunities, and support employee development programs
· Hire and effectively manage/coach the Operations Associate and manage the Communications Associate
· Facilitate the annual budget process, working with the Founding Director to analyze and make projections for each program area
· Work with VCW’s bookkeeper to oversee all accounting responsibilities such as financial projections, budgeting, regular financial reports, and expense tracking, ensuring that VCW maintains fiscal responsibility
· Coordinating and supporting staff with the development of budgets for new programs, grant applications, RFP responses, etc.
· Coordinate financial reporting
· Maintain positive relationships with banks and lenders, service and supply vendors, and other professionals
· Ensure compliance with financial regulations of all government agencies, including the tax agencies
Programmatic and Business Development
· Manage relevant programmatic deadlines, grant deliverables, and reporting
· Assist the Founding Director in making sure deliverables on all projects are on track and on budget to ensure we meet and exceed client expectations
· Act as a thought Partner to the Founding Director in thinking strategically on how to thoughtfully expand VCW’s network, programs, to leverage relationships, and grow relationships through targeted correspondence and/or creative outreach strategies
· Collaborate with VCW Team Mates, Subcontractors, and Founding Director to produce curriculum, toolkits, and training materials for social change organizations
Who You Are
· You excel at moving yourself and others toward operational efficiency. You love distilling activities into processes, you are thrilled creating efficient systems, and you would much rather focus on the root cause of an issue, than its symptoms.
· You have a results orientation. You have an “it’s handled” mentality and have demonstrated experience managing the inner workings of successful organizations.
· You have exceedingly high attention to detail. You check things multiple times, there is rarely a decimal out of place in your spreadsheets, typos, or unassigned tasks.
· You are a self-starter. You are able to coordinate and execute on successful projects with limited guidance. You’re also a pro at managing up, bringing in the Founding Director and other members of the team when and where you need them.
· You have a high degree of focus. Because VCW has many incredible projects, they will lean on you to focus in on the mission, act decisively to ward off distraction, and assertively set clear boundaries to keep the work moving in the right direction.
· You are an experienced manager. You should be comfortable managing small teams and gaining buy-in from dynamic groups. You’ll also need to be a master of delegation to keep fast-paced work moving to the right parts of the organization.
· At least eight years of work experience, with at least three years management experience, preferably in an operations setting
· Special preference for experience in start-ups, organizational consulting, operations, or shared services
· Experience in organizational design, managing up, and leading HR/people processes in a start-up setting is a plus
· At least five years of financial management experience
· Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills
· Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage business systems and processes to support a growing multi-site organization
· Demonstrated commitment and experience working within racial justice, LGBTQ liberation, and gender justice organizations
· Proficiency with project management tools, accounting software, Microsoft Office
· Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to admin @ visionchangewin.com
· Position will remain open until filled
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $85,000.00 /year