What's the Job?
Managers work in a dynamic and challenging environment. Managers collaborate closely with Analysts, Senior Managers, and Principals in small, high-performance teams focused on client problems. Managers analyze qualitative and quantitative data; manage complex tasks; lead and facilitate work sessions for our clients; and present analyses with recommendations to the client.
CFAR leverages the deep expertise of its consultants. For this reason, we fast track the development of our Managers. One or two years into their tenure, Managers can expect to rapidly take on greater responsibilities, to begin selling work, and to collaborate with colleagues to develop the proprietary tools and methods we use to meet our clients’ needs. The Manager position is seen as a springboard for senior consulting.
Note: We are hiring for both our Boston and our Philadelphia offices.
Who We Are
CFAR is a boutique management-consulting firm specializing in strategy, organizational change, and collaboration. Spun off from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1987, we are an owner-led, for-profit company that draws on our academic roots in business and the social sciences to help clients bring innovative ideas to life within their organizations. We offer highly customized solutions that help our clients address their unique business challenges and opportunities. We are especially focused on private and public companies whose identity and mission play a critical role in business performance. Our clients include Fortune 500 corporations; mid-market, family and owner-led businesses; hospitals and health systems; academic medical centers; associations; universities; foundations; and life sciences organizations.
We have several distinctive characteristics:
- Our approach embraces the fundamentals of both economics and human behavior—because we know that one informs the other in any organizational system.
- We have a proud history of applying new ideas to novel, complicated problems for which traditional solutions have been found ineffective, particularly in organizations with multiple stakeholders holding diverse interests.
- We engage in rigorous and creative analyses of our clients’ business dilemmas; help our clients work through these problems to reach solutions appropriate to their organizational culture; and equip them with the skills and structure to sustain change going forward.
- Our people are our greatest strength. We are passionate about our work—with our clients and with each other as we grow our firm.
- We embrace the value of different disciplines and perspectives, which is reflected in the wide variety of advanced degrees our consultants have earned—from business to economics and anthropology to public health, engineering and psychology.
Who Are We Looking For?
We are looking for individuals with an advanced degree(s) and five or more years of work experience who are both excited at the prospect of developing themselves as successful consulting professionals and interested in helping us grow our business.
- We seek candidates with outstanding intellectual abilities and analytic rigor; a solid, practical sense of how to work with and provide project management for clients in complex organizational environments; and an attunement to human behavior. The last is particularly important, as our work demands a keen ability to interpret what is “explicitly” stated in any given situation versus the ‘tacit’ dynamics at play that may suggest something else is going on.
- Successful candidates are well-rounded individuals, with five or more years of work experience and graduate degrees in relevant fields—such as business, psychology, international relations, anthropology, organizational psychology or other social sciences—in addition to exposure to finance and economics.
- Managers must be highly motivated and detail-oriented professionals with the ability to multi-task across a number of different projects. Comfort with ambiguity is a must.
- We value our ability to contribute to the ongoing dialogue related to the issues our clients confront, and seek individuals who are skilled at writing and speaking for both client and broader audiences.
- Above all, we are looking for dynamic people who can exhibit presence, confidence, and humility in the face of complicated client problems.
- How we work together internally is as important to us as how we work with our clients, so we strive to find individuals who fit our culture and share our values. These are people who display a natural curiosity, have a demonstrated record of leadership within and outside the workplace, enjoy working in an entrepreneurial environment, and are fun to be around. Our goal is to hire people who we can imagine will one day become principal owners of the firm.*
How To Apply
If you believe you have the skills, qualifications, and passion to contribute to our growing firm, please submit a one- or two-page résumé and a cover letter that describes your interest in CFAR.
A Few Other Details:
- Travel: You can expect to spend anywhere from 10 - 30% of your time traveling to client sites. This percentage is not fixed, and will vary over time. In any given month, it may be lower or higher depending on the location of your clients.
- Visas: CFAR is not providing visa sponsorship for this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $95,000.00 to $105,000.00 /year
- One location
- Multiple locations