The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Stantec’s Buildings group in Chicago is a 100-person group that provides Architecture and Interior Design across multiple sectors including Workplace, Hospitality, Mixed-Use, HigherEd, Healthcare, DOD/Civic, and Retail. This office serves as design hub for the buildings practice. Our team is passionate about the design quality of the built environment and create designs that are timeless, intelligent, and sustainable. This is the place where great ideas and rewarding careers call home.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of medium complexity/size.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups.
- Interprets and applies building codes and requirements of other regulatory agencies.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various architectural phases including site plans, floor plans, building elevations, building sections and details.
- Participates in bidding and negotiation phase and prepare addenda.
- Reviews shop drawings and submittals, responds to RFIs, prepares site observation reports and other contract administration tasks.
- Leads project coordination and meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner, contractor and sub-contractors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists in the preparation of the project specifications. Coordination of specs with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of accessibility codes, applicable building codes. Also knowledge of building construction systems, means and methods, materials and industry associated standards.
- Detailed understanding of all phases of architectural document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- General knowledge of building construction systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to conduct space planning, block planning and adjacencies in coordination with building program.
- To develop floor plans, wall sections, and details.
- To check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- To participate and collaborate in a project team setting through all phases of architectural document production.
- To engage in creative and critical thought.
- To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- To interpret sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- To communicate abstract ideas (verbal/written).
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, Sefaira.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related field & Registered Architect. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job Type: Full-time