For detailed information on Benefits for this position click here.
Join Harborview Medical Center as Advanced Practice Provider - ARNP, Nurse Practitioner; or PA-C, Physician Assistant ("Healthcare Specialist") for Neuro Critical Care.
The APP (Advanced Practice Provider), ARNP or PA, will work under the supervision of the NCCS attending Staff that includes Anesthesia, Neurology and Pulmonary/Critical Care Physicians
Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, Intracranial Hemorrhage, Acute Ischemic Stroke, Seizure and Status Epilepticus, Isolated Traumatic Brain Injuries, Neuromuscular disorders, Brain Tumors, CNS infections, hypoxemic-ischemic encephalopathy, Spinal Cord Injury and post-operative spine patients
1. Patient Care:
- Admit new patients (including writing admit note, initial assessments/plans, placing admission order sets)
- Participate in daily morning and afternoon rounds
- Daily Care: evaluating and managing ICU patients, writing daily progress notes and formulating/implementing plans
- Daily sign out with acute care services (ortho spine, neurosurgery and neurology services) for patients leaving the unit
- ICU Checklist: on morning rounds complete the daily checklist for each patient to ensure proper care and communication with nursing staff
- Facilitate family meetings and participate in goal of care discussions as appropriate
- You will carry a service pager and admission phone and be responsible as “first call” to your daily patient load (typically 4-8 patients but varies based on census).
- Participate in day and night coverage (see work hours below)
- Central Venous Catheters
- Arterial Lines
- Lumbar Punctures
- Point of Care Ultrasound
3. Quality Improvement and Research
- Monthly QI meetings and ongoing quality improvement projects. APPs are expected to actively engage in research and QI projects
- Monthly case presentations and Journal clubs that are lead by the APP with Physician support/mentoring
4. Work Hours
- Self-scheduling: 12-hour shifts (6am to 6pm)
- 6 shifts in a 2-week pay period
- Night shift requirements: (6pm to 6am) approximately 24-30 nights a year.
As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD, Center for Advanced Reconstruction and Rehabilitation (CARER), and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Masters Degree in nursing from an accredited school of nursing
Washington State Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner License with prescriptive privileges
National certification as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, and/or experience as neurocritical care provider.
Licensure as a Physician’s Assistant in the State of Washington with national certification from a national certifying body (NCCPA).
Applicant must be eligible to receive hospital staff appointments for adjunct staff membership by the Organized Medial Staff of the hospital under Medical Staff By-Laws for hospital-based positions.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.