About Northwestern Mutual – Eastern Pennsylvania
As achieving financial security becomes more complex for people, a few simple truths are becoming even more powerful: Relationships are built on trust. Our lives and businesses matter. And we’re much stronger together than we are apart. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today they’re hardwired into our DNA and are just some of the reasons why people turn to Northwestern Mutual to help secure their financial futures.
Above all, we believe in doing what’s right for our clients. With every important decision, we ask ourselves this poignant question: “Is this in the best long-term interest of our clients?” It’s the primary reason we created a distinctive planning process and evolved from a life insurance company to a financial security company in recent decades. We knew having the solutions to meet all of our clients’ financial needs was the right thing to do.
Join our team in carrying on that tradition. As a financial representative intern or career changer, you’ll get real-world job experience as you discover a career with flexibility and rewards. Teamwork. Training. Hard work. Fun. It’s part of what has made the Northwestern Mutual internship program a Top Twenty-Five Internship for the past 23 years in a row and continues to keep us ranked #97th on the Fortune 100 List.
When you join our financial representative internship program OR full-time financial representative career, you'll be supported by a team of people in one of our local network offices that will:
- Help you master our personalized planning process to provide financial solutions tailored to each client’s needs over his or her lifetime.
- Build a business from the ground up with support from mentors and training tools
- Help you build on your classroom learning and develop lifelong skills.
Our training program will help you:
- Begin on your understanding of our Sales Cycle starting with Approach, Factfinding, Preparation, Presentation, Follow-Through, Prospecting and Telephoning.
- Build a foundation of knowledge in finance, insurance and sales concepts that will help you succeed in providing financial security to your clients.
- Develop a client base and work to build a successful practice, with support from your office colleagues and the company. At Northwestern Mutual, you'll work for yourself but never by yourself.
You'll be rewarded with:
- Real-life experiences while earning performance-based compensation. Northwestern Mutual provides an attractive reimbursement program for professional studies that lead to a professional designation for interns who go full time.
- Participation in one of America’s Top 25 programs which will confirm you are a strong candidate for any future educational or professional opportunity, including a career at Northwestern Mutual. In fact, 1 in 3 eligible interns often continue on to have full-time careers as successful financial representatives.
Specifically, a College Financial Representative/Post-Graduate will:
- Acquire Life and Accident license in the state of PA (company sponsored)
- Meet with prospective clients daily to assess financial needs and goals, including thorough factfinding to submit adequate application to home office underwriting team
- Work with mentor to develop financial planning recommendations and strategies for the prospective client
- Track daily activity including dialing, meetings kept, and introductions
- Build and maintain own book of business through high activity, including prospecting
- Build product and industry knowledge through continuous exposure to wealth management advisors, face to face client meetings and joint work
- Participate in ongoing training as assigned, including role playing exercises to develop communication skills, language mastery and sales knowledge
- Work with College Unit Directors/Mentors centered around accountability, including weekly check-in’s building into overall activity expectations
Qualifications: Pursuing a 4 year degree
Allowed School Years: Junior, Senior, Graduating August 2019 – May 2021 OR Recent Graduate
Salary Level/ Range: Paid
Geographic Region: Central PA, Northeast PA, North Central PA, Southeast PA/ Greater Philadelphia, Lehigh Valley
- Harrisburg, PA
- Lancaster, PA
- Lehigh Valley, PA
- King of Prussia, PA
- Scranton, PA
- State College, PA
- West Chester, PA
- Philadelphia, PA
Job Type: Internship