CITY OF MELROSE
Title: Executive Assistant to the Mayor
Department: Mayor’s Office
Status: Full time, Non-Union
CNU1, Level 15, step 1, $51,434 with comprehensive benefits
Summary: Under direction from the Mayor and Chief of Staff, perform a variety of confidential executive support functions for the Mayor. The Assistant’s work is characterized by involvement with broad City-wide issues and interactions with other elected officials, constituents, representatives of a wide variety of community, civil and business groups, City management staff and others on complex and sensitive matters.
- Ensure a customer service oriented work environment that supports achieving the Mayor's objectives and service expectations.
- Under the Mayor’s direction, and in cooperation with the Chief of Staff, plan, organize, make and supervise logistical arrangements for a variety of events.
- Lead the development of e-communications including e-news, email, homepage and site updates, etc. that sustain and enhance relationships with constituents. Using Social Media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, the City’s Webpage and the Mayor’s Blog), communicate all relevant information including special events, altered schedules, projects and emergency instructions.
- Establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with the Mayor, City Council members, other elected and appointed officials, committee members, department directors and managers, staff, residents, representatives of civic and community groups, the media, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
- In cooperation with the Chief of Staff, maintain, update and rearrange calendars for the Mayor; receive and screen requests, coordinate, arrange and confirms meetings, appointments, social engagements and community/intergovernmental events.
- Receive and screen visitors and telephone calls, providing information and handle issues that require sensitivity and sound independent judgment; conduct research, respond to requests for information and resolve complaints from constituents; refer certain issues to appropriate staff members or City departments for resolution; review, determine the priority of and route assigned incoming correspondence.
- In cooperation with the Chief of Staff, oversee the preparation and typing of correspondence, memoranda, agenda items, reports, resolutions, proclamations, agreements, presentations, forms and other documents often of a highly sensitive and confidential nature; ensure that documents are accurate, complete and conform to Mayor's Office standards, policies and procedures; ensures materials, reports and documents for signature are accurate and complete.
- Supervise and manage the maintenance of Office records and databases; research and assemble information from a variety of sources for the preparation of records, correspondence and reports for the Mayor and staff; establish and maintain confidential files.
- Assist in preparing the Mayor's Office budget; track and monitor spending against the approved budget; prepare and process requisitions, purchase orders, accounts payable and accounts receivables in a timely manner;
- Process payroll for the Mayor’s office; process longevity pay and sick time incentive; maintain staff attendance and time off records; oversee proper accruals reporting;
- Order and manage office supplies; maintain professional and welcoming office image
- Perform other work as directed.
- Administrative experience and training, with three or more years of experience in government operations desired.
- Excellent organizational skills; including planning and implementing events.
- Ability to become familiar with City organization, ordinances, rules, functions of public agencies, including the role of an elected Council and appointed committees and boards, policies, procedures and operating practices related to areas of responsibility within six months of hire.
- Ability to type 60 wpm with accuracy.
- Intermediate experience in Microsoft Office programs, plus the ability to create forms, templates, and office documents as needed. Demonstrated experience in e-communications including e-news, email, homepage and site updates. Experience with using Social Media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, the City’s Webpage and the Mayor’s Blog), to communicate all relevant information. Ability to produce and edit video content, create graphics and familiarity with photo, video, and design software preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of office operations, methods, and equipment, and have an understanding of financial statements, business letters, and statistical report requirements.
- Ability to develop and establish systems that organize the Mayor’s Office ensuring smooth daily operations.
- Excellent grammar and spelling in written and oral communication.
- Must be able to exercise a high degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to work with office staff, public officials, administrative managers/supervisors, and the general public using tact, proper judgment, courtesy, and diplomacy.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong public relations skills
- Keen attention to detail, with an ability to meet strict deadlines within a high volume environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $51,434.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On Call
- executive assistant: 3 years (Preferred)
- managing Social Media: 1 year (Required)
- photo, video and design software: 1 year (Required)
- e-communications : 1 year (Required)
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Only full-time employees eligible