ROLE OVERVIEW: The Preferred Employers Group, a WR Berkley company is growing to support the needs of our business! The Senior Software Engineer position will provide application design, development, enhancement, maintenance and testing support to one or more applications and business processes. Demonstrate a high level of expertise in using entity relationship diagramming techniques. Possess a deep understanding of vendor software integration and interactions within the domain, and a general working knowledge of inter-platform vendor software interactions. Be able to consider technical decisions as part of a multidimensional problem, balancing standards, principles, project management disciplines (time, cost, schedules), team norms (consultation, decision-making, communication) and process.
- Requires an in-depth understanding of insurance related reporting and insurance operations.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of Enterprise processes/processing, system interfaces, and where/how that data is used, and the related data structures
- Be accountable and responsible for developing, implementing and supporting business technology solutions for customers.
- Effectively design, develop and troubleshoot application system problems by identifying and implementing software or process changes that allow business transactions to continue with minimal risk.
- Possess and maintain strong expertise in the use of tools/technologies used for development, design, and testing
- Design and enhance software development/maintenance processes and procedures.
- Adhere and refine PEI development standards and quality expectations for the job family. Defines, documents and instructs on standards and design patterns/paradigms for development within a team.
- Work with the IT leadership team to implement IT strategy
- Assists in the planning of technical support infrastructure and transition from application development to support to ensure that appropriate support is available to PEI in a timely and efficient manner
- Understand desired business outcomes, translate business requirements into technical requirements and then create and express technological solution design
- Develop and build solutions using Enterprise Integration tools
- Understand business workflow and automation needs of the presented solutions
- Influence the direction of system integration architecture, platforms, versions, and toolsets
- Work with development team on refined estimates based on implementation tasks
- Conducts technical research, testing, evaluation and documentation of routine hosting/configuration tools and methodologies to ensure that tools are current and functional
- Maintain integrity of high-level design and integration architecture by participating in design reviews, code reviews, and demos.
- Some travel required (approx. 10%)
- 7+ years - experience and/or knowledge in designing/developing, programming, and support.
- At least 5 years of exposure to business process, applications, and data
- At least 3 years preferably in the insurance industry.
- A Minimum of 5+ years of experience as an handling distributed, web-based Enterprise Java architecture
- Bachelor's Degree in an Information Technology, or related discipline, which could include Computer Science, Information Systems (IS) or Management Information Systems (MIS).
- Strong expertise in Web application architecture, Design patterns, OOAD and Web Services implementations
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated ability with Java programming
- Strong knowledge of Apache Tomcat, server configurations and clustered deployments
- Strong understanding of open systems architecture including integrations with vendor packages, relational databases, message queues, web services and legacy systems
- A great attitude and outstanding work ethic.
- Strong deductive reasoning, critical thinking, problem solving, and prioritization skills.
- Willingness to work in a fast paced and collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be dependable, reliable and flexible.
- A strong team player - Someone who collaborates well with others to solve problems and actively incorporate input from various sources.
- Must be well organized and able to work under time constraints
- A self-motivated individual with a passion for success
- Needs to be able to determine how changes impact customer and other systems
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to quickly adapt and learn new technologies
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to design application modules that work together to produce desired product to ensure that performance guidelines are met
- Comfortable working in an Agile and other development environments
- Working knowledge of programing and scripting languages
- Willingness to influence, experiment and the ability to learn from mistakes
- Only local candidates will be considered at this time
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements Application Systems/Administrative Roles:
(The conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without accommodations):
- Ability to sit at a desk and work on a computer for extended periods of time
- May occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Job Type: Full-time