FCPA is the managing organization to Fountain City Youth Chorus and Fountain City Youth Instrumentalists for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer and youth allies in the Greater Kansas City community offering a safe space for teens to grow and share their views on societal issues through the arts.
FCPA fosters an environment to empower youth through original art; to unite, educate and enlighten the change in hearts and minds!
- Serve as a high profile advocate and promoter of FCPA;
- Represent the organization to local school music educators and administrations as well as other local arts and culture organizations (symphony, congregations, etc.). Promote collaborative activities and performances with these groups;
- Represent the organization to music professionals at local, regional and national levels. Promote networking and collaboration with these professionals;
- Develop an annual performance schedule. Oversee annual concerts, including logistics, scheduling and securing venues;
- Develop annual artistic and educational program ideas and appropriate curriculum for arts workshops.
- Work with Managing Director on budget needs to implement performances and programs;
- Engage in active communications with the FCPA Board, FCPA committees, funders, parents, other members of the KC metropolitan, cultural community, and other groups, as appropriate.
- Plan and lead rehearsals for assigned choirs;
- Research repertoire, and in conjunction with other conductors/directors, determine repertoire for both FCPA chorus and instrumental ensemble to order all music.
- Oversee logistics and fulfillment of all approved artistic and educational programs.
- Work with Managing Director in securing and arranging a variety of community concerts during the year.
- Oversee and nurture a supportive and quality musical learning environment for grades 9-12.
- Demonstrate a high professional standard and dynamic understanding of the youth voices, vocal pedagogy, language and diction, and diverse musical styles and genres.
- Coordinate delivery of diverse, quality repertoire, and curriculum for scheduled arts workshops.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education or an undergraduate degree in a relevant area of Music. A combination of education and/or comparable work experience (5 - 6 years) will be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
- Experience in conducting choirs or directing musical theater productions.
- Experience in planning and implementing performances and arts workshops, including creative programming skills.
- Ability to mentor, motivate and empower youth
- Knowledge of sensitivity to the LGBTQIA community, choral movement and musical/artistic community.
Applicant Submission Requirements
- Current Resume or CV – Curriculum Vitae
- Written statement of interest.
- Video-recorded statement of interest; to include your support of youth, an interest in and commitment to embracing the vision of FCPA (for virtual committee distribution)
*Video should be no more than 2 minutes in length
Applicants should submit the required requests via email to info at fcpakc dot org. The subject line should read “FCPA Artistic Director”.
Job Type: Contract