Essential Job Functions:
- Support General Counsel
- Perform tasks and projects at direction of General Counsel and Klipsch management which may vary from those listed below and which may include legal research and writing, policy development and revision, and/or the development of training materials including via power-point presentations and assistance with training administration.
Contract Management and Drafting:
- Software - Develop expertise with Contract Management Software(currently E-contracts).
- Drafting - Modify and proofread template agreements (including, without limitation, Dealer Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Trade Agreement and Annual Program letters) with business terms requested by salespersons for General Counsel approval, and other terms requested by GC.
- Feasibility/Execution - Verify with appropriate business persons Klipsch ability to comply with proposed contract terms and notify GC and in house legal at Voxx prior to execution of agreement Also develop own backup or spreadsheet calendaring system for key contract deadlines. Also, review finalized contracts and notify all applicable business persons of elements of finalized agreements they will perform or otherwise should be made aware of.
- Version Control - Ensure that signed versions of agreements returned by contracting parties match the version dispatched to such parties for signature and are complete, fully executed, dated, and include all required terms and exhibits.
- Contract Conclusion Determinations - Following notification from Contract Management Software, promptly notify applicable persons regarding pending contract action, including, without limitation, auto-renewals, terminations, and expirations, for determination prior to decision deadline. Ensure that business decision is properly effectuated pursuant to contract terms. Follow up relentlessly via email, phone, and in-person to ensure answers are received and business decision documented and effectuated.
- Contract terminations Review contracts for termination provisions, and modify template contract termination letters as needed for General Counsel and approval prior to dispatch.
Intellectual Property Management:
- IP Maintenance/WebTMS - Utilize WebTMS software (and any future software) to manage existing intellectual property assets. For new marks, perform preliminary trademark punch out searches and report results. Collaborate with outside counsel to ensure proper registration, create WebTMS record, and file and organize paper copies. Promptly review weekly WebTMS update emails for renewals, timely notify, diligently follow up, and acquire determinations from applicable business persons regarding actions to take (generally whether to renew) trademarks, and notify applicable outside counsel and GC of renewal status and determinations. Acquire materials needed for trademark renewals.
- Use Guide/ Compliance - Maintain and timely update Intellectual Property Use Guide with any changes to company branding guidelines, new trademarks, or 3rd party mark rights or use changes. Review proposed Klipsch marketing and product materials for compliance with Use Guide.
- Outside Counsel - Review and timely address communications from outside counsel regarding company IP.
- 3rd Party IP - Assist General Counsel with organization and managing of 3rd Party IP licenses granted.
- CSC Monitoring - Timely review CSC trademark monitoring updates, research as needed, and timely confer with GC regarding whether to contest use.
- Trademark Oppositions - Manage and address planned trademark oppositions.
- Trademark Registration - Assist outside counsel in domestic and international trademark application process. Register trademarks with US Customs and Border Protection.
- Patent Docket - Maintain docket system for payments for patent annuities.
- IP litigation - Assist with document acquisition, investigatory work, communication, and as otherwise requested with respect to threatened or pending IP litigation.
Corporate Recordkeeping/ Government Compliance:
- Develop knowledge of applicable laws, in the US, and overseas, applicable to Corporate Recordkeeping and Compliance. Manage administrative corporate recordkeeping functions, including registration, maintenance, and use of corporate seal (where applicable), maintaining corporate minutes, etc.
- Register Authorized Suppliers with Customs (including China) where needed.
- Assist GC in company compliance efforts in various regions and across various regulatory categories.
- Business communications - Daily open, review, read, and prioritize all correspondence (including email and voicemail) to ensure that deadlines are met. Promptly acknowledge correspondence from business team and respond in a timely fashion. Retrieve materials requested by business team.
- Spreadsheets - Maintain and timely update business spreadsheets, including, without limitation, regarding Authorized Internet Dealers, Distribution/Dealer territories and authorized products, and patent spreadsheets.
- Knowledge Development - Develop working knowledge of intellectual property rights, including trademark, legal terms in typical company agreements and industry.
Additional Job Functions:
- Notarize, or secure notarization (if not a notary) of required documents.
- Prepare and dispatch correspondence and secure signatures from applicable persons on documents when Legal Assistant unavailable to assist in a timely manner.
- Continually develop practical legal knowledge applicable to role.
- Comply with all company policies, including timekeeping.
- Assist GC with legal bill payment and budgeting processes.
- Acquire signatures on applicable documents and dispatch letters and other mail.
- In-house Paralegal and/or Legal Administrative Assistant experience.
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize contract management and intellectual property management software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Attention to detail, organizational and time management skill, and the ability to work under deadlines.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle highly confidential information discreetly and professionally.
- Associates or Bachelors degree in Paralegal Studies or Paralegal Certification
- Experience with contract management, intellectual property management, and corporate recordkeeping.
- Notary public.
Must be able to sit for an extended period of time.
Klipsch offers all full-time employees’ medical, dental, vision (company fully pays vision), 401(k) with company match, life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability.
Klipsch is an EOE.
Job Type: Full-time
- Legal Secretary: 2 years
- Paralegal: 2 years