Northern Light A.R. Gould
Department: Nursing Administration
Position is located: Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: As needed
Provides direct observation of a patient at risk for safety.
• Notifies members of clinical care team of any change in patient’s condition, intentions, or if verbalizes intent to hurt self or others. • Stays with patient at all times, keeping the patient in full view at all times, and remains alert and observes patient during their assigned shift. Arranges coverage for patient when needs to leave room. • Ensures all personal care items are within patient reach and assists the patient with meal tray set up (opening cartons, removing lids, etc.). • Monitors patient safety. • Utilizes respectful verbal cues to elicit patient cooperation. Participates in general conversation or other distraction activities if desired by patient. • Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed. • May perform other duties upon request.
Competencies and skills:
- Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
- Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
- Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
- Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
- Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
- Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
- Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
- High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
- Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
- Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
- Continuous sitting.
- Continuous walking.