MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Explore Austin combines mentoring, leadership, and outdoor adventure to empower youth to reach their full potential. Through leadership based outdoor adventure curriculum coupled with social-emotional learning and long-term mentoring, our program supports the cognitive, emotional and physical well-being for youth from historically marginalized communities.
At Explore, our culture is warm, welcoming, and tenacious. We hustle. We are action-oriented, courageous, excellent teammates and strong communicators. We believe it takes diversity of thought and varying lived experiences to generate the best ideas and ensure we are always adapting and growing to meet community needs.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies that raise awareness through storytelling, media relations, community outreach, digital and print marketing materials, social media, event planning, campaign management and more. Explore Austin is seeking a strategic thinker who is creative, flexible, and highly organized with superior writing, and communication skills.
This position works under the supervision of the CEO and Director of Development and has the following responsibilities and duties:
Marketing/Public Relations/Thought Leadership:
- Develop and implement an annual marketing and communications plan.
- Build thought leadership and increase awareness of Explore Austin’s brand.
- Build and maintain a robust editorial calendar, including key speaking events for CEO.
- Draft and promote thought-leading content (op-eds, blog posts, etc.).
- Build relationships with key reporters, monitor relevant news outlets, conduct media analyses, and secure earned media.
- Design and disseminate all print and digital collateral, including brochures, infographics, videos, imagery, etc.
- Assess and utilize various platform analytics to develop and execute a robust digital strategy.
- Maintain website and continuously track, analyze and report on all digital metrics.
- Assist with Mentor and Explorer recruitment materials and outreach.
- Supervise Outreach Coordinator Intern and part-time Social Media Coordinator.
Events & Campaigns:
- Assist in the coordination of and promote development events, fairs, corporate presentations, and donor engagement events.
- Lead marketing and communications for monthly giving program, summer postcards, and welcome series.
- Manage end-of-year email campaigns and other year-round giving moments, such as Amplify Austin and Giving Tuesday.
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations or related field.
- Preferred 3 to 5 years nonprofit, development, marketing, advocacy, or public relations experience.
- Demonstrated experience with social media platforms and marketing techniques, including design and layout.
- Experience with publications management and possession of professional writing skills.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and WordPress or other web publishing platforms.
- Preferred experience with online fundraising.
- Preferred experience with online platforms and marketing tools like Classy and Emma.
- High attention to detail and ability to work with others to meet deadlines and achieve goals.
- Passionate about the connection between nature and well-being and investing in youth from historically oppressed communities.
The successful candidate must embrace: The mission and values of Explore Austin, including our belief that time in nature is essential for cognitive, emotional, and physical well-being; use critical and independent thinking skills to connect with volunteers and donors; and be able to multitask and manage workload efficiently with limited supervision. An attitude of collaboration and teamwork along with a self-starting spirit is essential to success in this role.
Compensation: Salary range is $45,000-$52,000 depending on experience. Candidates selected for an interview will be requested to provide references and a portfolio of writing samples and graphic designs.
- 100% health and dental coverage
- 4 weeks vacation, flexible sick leave
- 11 company holidays + your birthday
- 1 week during the summer to join a Summer Wilderness Trip (not counted against PTO)
- An incredible team and community!
*Accepting applications until January 8, 2021. Please include a resume AND cover letter in your application.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 - $52,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place