- High School Diploma or GED
- Communication Skills
- Food Service
- Culinary Experience
POSITION SUMMARY: The Server provides full-scope, hands on serving functions in the community Culinary Services Department. Responsible in providing superior level of quality service and cleanliness at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: 1. Exemplify at all times Community standards of cleanliness, sanitation and organization.
2. Responsible for adhering to food quality, appearance and presentation standards at all times.
3. Exhibit dining room appearance and presentation standards at all times.
4. Exhibit serving standards of speed, accuracy, and efficiency.
5. Set tables and maintain work stations in proper order. Take order, provide service and requested items both graciously and courteously. Answer pertinent questions about menu items.
6. Clear dishes from tables during and after meal service, assist with dish washing, and reset tables.
7. Serve customers using proper serving etiquette and promote an inviting dining atmosphere.
8. Knowledge of diets provided and served correctly per Policy and Procedure.
9. Represent community in a warm and inviting manner, which creates a positive marketing environment.
10. Supports creating a culture where the business decisions made in this position, along with individual employee engagement, drive top-line revenue and occupancy.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. The Community embraces a culture of hospitality. To that end, all employees are expected as a condition of employment to practice the LCS Hospitality Promises™ in all interactions with residents, fellow employees, and guests: • We greet you warmly, by name and with a smile. • We treat everyone with courteous respect. • We anticipate your needs and act accordingly. • We listen and respond enthusiastically in a timely manner. • We hold ourselves and one another accountable. • We make you feel important. • We embrace and value our differences. • We ask, “Is there anything else I can do for you?” • We maintain high levels of professionalism, both in conduct and appearance, at all times. • We pay attention to details. 2. Observe and abide by all regulations to ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage, and destruction within the community; and to ensure only the minimum necessary information is known to function in this position. 3. Assure resident safety. 4. Follow written and oral directions. 5. Maintain confidentiality of resident and community information. 6. Complete assignments timely, completely and accurately. 7. Attend all in-services as assigned or requested. 8. Participate in interdisciplinary team and other community meetings as assigned or requested. 9. Consistently work cooperatively with residents, co-workers, physicians, families, consultant personnel and other ancillary service providers. 10. Observe all community safety policies and procedures. 11. Is observant of safety hazards and emergency situations, and reports to appropriate person or takes corrective action according to established procedures. 12. Come to work in a clean, neat uniform and consistently present an appropriate professional appearance. 13. Come to work as scheduled and consistently demonstrate dependability and punctuality, complies with attendance policy. 14. Assume accountability for data contained in the employee handbook. 15. Assumes accountability for compliance with Federal, State, and other regulations within scope of control and of which informed. 16. Observe infection control procedures. 17. Follow Residents’ Rights policies at all times. 18. Observe all community policies and procedures. 19. Accept assigned duties, instructions or correction in a cooperative manner, voicing concerns or disagreement in a professional manner through established chain of authority according to state procedures.
Job Description – Server Page 3 of 5 © Rentals Rev. 8/2017
20. Perform incidental housekeeping and maintenance tasks as may arise during the course of regular duties, in order to maintain a clean, safe, pleasant environment for residents, visitors and staff. 21. Perform all other related duties as assigned in an effective, timely and professional manner.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION: • Minimum completion of sophomore year in high school required • Experience in food service work preferred • Experience in working with seniors preferred
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION OR OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: • Must hold current state-required sanitation (Safe Food Handling and/or Certified Food Manager) certification/licensure • Willingness to be available for any/all emergencies regarding the community • Doctor’s statement verifying free from communicable disease, if applicable in your state
QUALIFICATIONS: • Proficiency in the English language enabling the employee to read, write, comprehend and communicate simple instructions, correspondence, memos, etc. • Dining room organization and preparation hands-on responsibilities • Knowledge in all areas of local Health Department, OSHA and other regulatory agencies relative to culinary services • Strong inter-department communication and teamwork skills • Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions • Ability to deal with problems involving few concrete variables in standardized situations • Ability to multi-task, balance team and individual responsibilities, and respond promptly to resident and visitor needs
DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY: None
PHSYICAL REQUIREMENTS: Tools, equipment, machines used on the job: • All dining room service needs: china, flatware, glasses, linen, bus trays, carts, tables, chairs, hot and cold food holding equipment, etc. Physical activities of the position: • Lifts and carries up to 50 lbs. with assistance occasionally • Pushes and pulls up to 50 lbs. with assistance occasionally • Climbs, reaches, bends and twists occasionally • Reaches, bends and twists occasionally • Talks and listens frequently • Stands and walks frequently • Handles food occasionally Physical requirements of the job: • Medium work – exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
SENSORY/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS: This list is not to be inclusive, rather exemplary of times of sensory/cognitive activities involved in performance of job functions.
Recognition/vision and mental processing • Routinely process written information as in policies and procedures, posted notices, instruction materials, regulations, etc. • Routinely complete forms and other written documentation. • Routinely observe resident actions, gestures, and facial expressions. Hearing • Routinely recognize auditory call signals, telephone rings, soft voices of elderly, verbal communication within the workplace. Smell • Routinely observe odors relevant to resident personal care condition and those unpleasant in the environment. Verbal communication • Routinely engage in interactions highly dependent upon clear, audible verbal communication, often in circumstances where hearing impairments can easily lead to misunderstanding.
PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR REQUIREMENTS: This list is not to be inclusive, rather exemplary of times of emotional and behavioral activities involved in performance of job functions. • Routinely interact with individuals (residents, family members, staff, etc.) who may be discourteous, tactless, demanding, verbally and/or physically threatening or abusive, angry or hostile, emotionally vulnerable or mentally ill, vulgar, mean-natured. • Routinely called upon to control own emotions and behaviors so as to protect residents’ rights and to respond professionally with respect and dignity.
ENVIRONMENTAL/OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURES: This list is not to be inclusive, rather exemplary of times of environmental/occupational exposures involved in performance of job functions. • Individual must be able to use protective equipment and take proper precautions and emergency measures. • At risk for exposure to chemical used for cleaning/sanitizing/disinfecting, and to electrical and mechanical hazards associated with operation of food service equipment.