Each year, institutional investors such as mutual funds and pension funds vote on key governance issues at their portfolio companies. These include the election of directors, ratification of auditors, executive compensation plans, and Environmental and Social shareholder proposals. For over 30 years, Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) has been the leading provider of governance research to institutional investors, helping them assess governance risk at their portfolio companies and cast informed votes on these issues.
We seek to hire several research analysts to work with our Specialty and Environmental & Social Proxy Issues Research teams in our Rockville, Maryland office during the spring annual shareholder meeting season, for a term starting February 11, 2020 for a term ending in May/June 2020 (there could be some fluctuation in start and end dates). We cannot sponsor work authorizations for this short contract; however, we can work with the school requirements for OPT/F1.
- Perform research on environmental and social issue shareholder proposals to be voted on at annual shareholder meetings of publicly traded companies.
- Analyze information to draft reports and issue proxy vote recommendations based on ISS' policy guidelines.
- Develop an understanding of corporate environmental and social sustainability issues; including human rights, animal welfare, climate change and greenhouse gas emissions, corporate political contributions and lobbying, and sustainability reporting.
- Develop an understanding of governance issues, including board of directors, shareholder rights, audit issues, compensation, and mergers/acquisitions.
- Engage as needed with representatives from corporations, institutional investors, and other market players.
- Answer internal and external queries on research analyses, and discuss policies and vote recommendations as appropriate.
- Perform other research-related work and duties as assigned.Qualifications
- Strong analytical abilities
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Organizational skills, attention to detail, a self-driven work ethic, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a high-pressure, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work within a team-oriented environment and communicate with various internal parties
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends during peak weeks (approx. March through June)
- Bachelor's degree or higher, plus relevant work experience preferred in business, corporate social and environmental issues, or other corporate fields
Job Type: Temporary
- Sustainability: 1 year (Preferred)
- Research: 2 years (Preferred)