A Real-World Experience with Real-World Impact
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. American Red Cross Greater New York interns are involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
You must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at the time of the internship. Our Internship Program may not satisfy requirements for school practicums but can be done for credit.
Our Red Cross student internships have been grouped by Mission Concepts. A Mission Concept is a work area that will allow you to narrow your interest to make it easier to select your ideal internship. If this Mission Concept fits your educational and career goals, view all the internship opportunities below.
This Mission Concept is for students who want to be uniquely positioned to be a facilitative leader in the community, supporting efforts to build not only more disaster-resilient communities but also stronger and well-connected communities overall. You may work either behind-the-scenes or in the community to build local resilience.
Our formal Spring 2019 Internship Program typically runs for a specified 10 to 12-week duration.
- Start: Monday, January 28, 2019
- End: Friday, May 3, 2019
- Weekly Internship Hours Required: Part-time, 10 - 15 plus hours per week
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services.
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Non-Profit Administration, Urban Planning, Emergency Management, Public Policy and Administration, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Communications, Media Studies, Public Affairs, Global Studies, International Relations, Public Relations, Political Science
Preferred Grade Levels
Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior and/or Graduate level.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a mission-focused undergraduate or graduate college student seeking a meaningful internship experience who has the following qualities:
- Detail Oriented
- Strong Communicator
- Team Builder/Player
- Strategic Thinker
- No-task-is too-small attitude
Intern, Individual & Community Preparedness, NYC
- Your Mission: You will provide direct service to clients of the American Red Cross by preparing and educating your community for disasters as you serve alongside paid and volunteer staff.
- What You’ll Do: You will complete projects that enhance organizational service delivery and expand community resources while developing a professional skill base. You will also specifically assist in developing current and intended initiatives by conducting feasibility studies, through interaction with volunteers, staff and community members. You will also take part in the planning and implementation of the regional Preparedness strategy which identifies services to deliver to high-risk communities in New York City.
Intern, Community Relations, NYC
- Your Mission: The Community Relations Department increases awareness of Red Cross programs, activities and services throughout the Greater New York Region and is the point of contact for all outreach to elected officials in our region. You’ll help the Community Relations team provide greater access to a wide set of services, extend the reach of services to traditionally underserved communities, increase capacity to deliver services, coordinate and match resources to needs, and facilitate local resilience-building actions.
- What You’ll Do: Interns will assist in developing strong relationships with federal, state and local elected officials to increase awareness of our programs and services vital to under-served and at-risk communities. Interns track and distribute data to external stakeholders and act as a Red Cross spokesperson when necessary meeting with external audiences to promote our programs.
Intern, Nonprofit Program Administration-International Services, NYC
- Your Mission: One of the major responsibilities of the intern will be helping with the program administration and management of the Restoring Family Links (RFL) program. RFL is a program that involves re-establishing lost communication between family members who have been separated across international borders due to conflict or disaster.
- What You’ll Do: Interns will work on supporting the Restoring Family Links program. You’ll communicate with Red Cross beneficiaries to start new RFL cases, and/or work on existing cases to complete them by the stated deadline. Cases include, but are not limited to, tracing and searching for missing family members within the Greater New York jurisdiction, exchanging Red Cross messages between family members, performing health and welfare checks, and more. You’ll also have a chance to inform communities about the services we provide as well as organize special events.
Intern, Service to the Armed Forces, NYC
- Your Mission: Local Red Cross offices collaborate with the Service to the Armed Forces Emergency Communications Center (ECC) to deliver emergency services to military families in their local communities. You’ll be a champion of the military, veterans and their families by helping to build the resilience of our Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) department.
- What You’ll Do: Interns will be involved in "Family Follow Up" which is a key component of emergency services and continues the process usually initiated at the ECC. Interns input data and create cases which will help establish a helping relationship with clients who have experienced an emergency or difficult situation and to extend local support to military families.
How to apply
- All our internships are unpaid. Review internship posting to ensure you meet the qualifications, then complete our Spring 2019 Internship Program Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Spring2019InternshipApplication
Job Types: Part-time, Internship