The Lead Patient Service Representative (PSR) is responsible for the same duties of the Patient Service Representative but also assumes additional leadership support duties related to identifying and promoting ideas for improvement, training new and existing receptionists, enforcing quality and timeliness of task completion and supporting the Clinic Administrator in scheduling, providing real-time support with difficult patient situations and various administrative duties.
The Lead PSR is responsible for performing the standard duties of the receptions including to accurately capture and maintain patient registration data for patients admitted for outpatient services at UnityPoint Health – Meriter Clinics. He/she is responsible for querying databases, utilizing many different methods, searching for existing medical record numbers on all patients, in order to provide continuity of patient care within one medical record number that is assigned to each patient. The Lead PSR establishes UnityPoint Health – Meriter Clinic billing accounts in Epic, in order to accurately charge for the services that are rendered.
The Lead PSR is also responsible for completing insurance verification, which includes eligibility checking, obtaining insurance benefits in order to achieve maximum reimbursement. This information needs to be accurately entered into the system for use by UnityPoint Health – Meriter registration, billing, medical records, and clinical staff.
The Lead PSR interacts with many internal and external customers and is responsible for creating a positive first impression of services provided at the UnityPoint Health – Meriter Clinics.
In addition to the registration and insurance verification duties, the Lead PSR is responsible for scheduling all patient appointments in EPIC Cadence and answering a multiline phone and triaging calls to appropriate clinic staff, and creating patient call back messages routed to clinic staff.
- High school diploma
- 1-2 years of experience in a hospital or clinic setting
- 1-2 years in billing, insurance verification and/or registration
- 1-2 years of customer service experience
- 1-2 years of experience working with health insurance terminology
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Problem solving skills and the ability to use one’s own best judgment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook), the Internet and multiline phone
- Medical terminology
- Understanding of insurance policies and co-pay requirements
- Working knowledge of clinic processes and procedures
- Accuracy in spelling
- Associate’s degree in business, medical reception or related field
- Proven proficiency on various applications of the EPIC system, to include, but not limited to, ADT, Prelude, and Cadence
- Ability to type at least 40 WPM accurately, using standard keyboarding skills