We are looking for fun, energetic, inspiring and nurturing Substitute Teachers who have the passion and commitment for working with young children, and their parents, to join our team and lead our classrooms when our Lead Classroom Teachers are not available. This is a limited-term position that pays $16.00 per hour, and works on an on-call basis.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Onging
BACKGROUND ON ONE CITY EARLY LEARNING CENTERS
One City Schools (formerly One City Early Learning Centers) is a Wisconsin-based nonprofit organization that provides high quality educational opportunities for young children. We are currently hiring Lead Classroom Teachers for our new public charter preschool - One City Senior Preschool (OCSP). OCSP is a new, unique, tuition-free, two-generation public school, authorized by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents, that will provide a tuition-free education to children in two grades only: four-year old kindergarten and five year-old kindergarten. We will add a grades 1 to 6 elementary school beginning with first grade in 2019-20. We currently operate an award winning preschool serving children ages 1 to 5 in South Madison.
One City’s mission is to prepare young children for success in school and life. Our vision is of a Greater Madison community where there are no persistent achievement and opportunity gaps, and where all children are prepared to contribute and succeed as adults. More importantly, we aim to partner with families and the broader community to cultivate children who become free, global and deep thinkers, curious learners, effective problem solvers, humanitarians, happy people and young people who care about the world around them. To this end, One City’s academic goal is to ensure young children are prepared to read, compute and succeed at grade level by the time they reach first grade.
BENEFITS WE OFFER CHILDREN:
- Any child residing in Wisconsin can enroll in our school, tuition-free
- An AnjiPlay School, the first outside of Mainland China (visit www.anjiplay.com)
- Project-based, hands-on, student-centered learning program (visit www.eleducation.org)
- Reading, writing, math literacy and STEM education for young learners
- Longer school day: 8:30am to 5:00pm with before school (6:45am) and after school (5-6pm)
- Longer school year (234 vs 180 days) with a deeply explorational summer semester
- 2-hour nap time for children every day
- Healthy breakfast, lunch and snack prepared daily on-site by our trained Chef
- Beautiful facility, classrooms and playgrounds located in South Madison
- Diverse teaching and support staff; two teachers in every classroom
- Cultural education; diverse student body and families
- Sports, Fitness, Creative and Performing Arts and Writing Lab
- Developing Dual Language Immersion (Spanish) Program for 2019-20
- A deep commitment to eliminating opportunity gaps, giving children a strong foundation for the future, and building a healthy, just and unified society.
BENEFITS WE OFFER FAMILIES:
- Low-cost before and after-school program
- No fees for books, supplies or materials
- Longer school day and year (no $180/week after school or unaffordable summer programs)
- A strong network of support and engagement among families and the broader community.
- FAST Program (visit www.familiesandschools.org)
- Fun learning activities and special events for entire family
- A monthly parent committee developed by One City Parents
- Strong connections to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and Edgewood College
- Great partnerships that assist families with accessing available educational and employment opportunities, and other supports, in the Greater Madison community
- A free, unique Family Perks discount program that provides One City families and team members with significant price discounts at more than 300,000 retailers, travel, recreational, automotive, food and restaurant establishments across the country.
BENEFITS WE OFFER SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS:
One City offers salaries and wages that are competitive within our local market and area public schools, as well as comprehensive benefits to all full-time employees. Benefits include:
- Onsite-Training in AnjiPlay and Expeditionary Learning
- Family Perks Discount Program (https://ocel.abenity.com)
- Investment in Professional Growth and Development
One City Substitute Teachers assure that all children receive a high quality and inspiring learning experience that helps them reach their full potential. They provide a warm, nurturing, safe and loving environment where self-esteem is enhanced, independence encouraged, and individuality is respected. Specific performance responsibilities include:
Interactions between Teacher and Children
- Available and responsive to children, encouraging them to share experiences, ideas and feelings.
- Supports children’s social, emotional, physical, cognitive and sociolinguistic development, assisting children to be comfortable, secure, happy and involved in play, structured learning and other activities.
- Provides and maintains a creative and orderly classroom and school environment.
- Models the care and upkeep of the classroom, playground, school materials, and other building spaces.
- Keeps current in knowledge and practice of the curriculum, child development and relevant theories of learning.
- Is willing to share their knowledge for continual improvement of One City’s educational program and curriculum.
- Assists, when necessary, in on-going curriculum reviews, including offering feedback on school and program effectiveness.
- Becomes acquainted with supplemental materials and services beneficial to students as an extension of regular classroom activities.
- Implements a learning program that adheres to One City’s philosophy, goals and objectives, and meets the individual needs and interests of children, with guidance from One City’s Lead Teacher or Senior Lead Teacher.
- Creates a classroom environment conducive to active learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies that inspires children’s enthusiasm for the learning process.
- Monitors and assesses the learning and development of each child, and provides progress reports as required.
- Works cooperatively with designated support staff and service providers, and supervises classroom volunteers.
- Recognizes learning challenges and makes referrals and interventions as appropriate.
- Uses effective oral and written expression.
- Develops, in long-term sub situations, and in accordance with One City, City of Madison Accreditation and state guidelines, reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate techniques that are consistently applied.
- Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Shares responsibility during the day for the supervision of students in all areas of the school.
- Builds and maintains positive and engaging relationships with parents.
- Works cooperatively with families to strengthen the educational program for their children.
- Respects each family’s uniqueness, and advocates for children, families, and One City.
- Respects and honors the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, families, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics, and state and federal laws.
- Upholds and enforces school policies, administrative procedures, and relevant federal, state, local and school rules and regulations, and is supportive of them to the public.
- Maintains appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance and appropriate use of planning time.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with other staff members.
- Strives to communicate the positive aspects of One City to the public in word and deed.
- Helps maintain a clean an orderly educational environment and facility, and at all times and shows grace and support when engaging children, parents and guests who utilize or visit One City.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, goals and objectives of One City, and to working to with young children from diverse racial/cultural populations and their families.
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood to elementary education, or related field.
- Valid Wisconsin Educators License for Substitute Teachers, or willingness to become certified ASAP.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience, or have interned or trained at One City.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive.
- Ability to regularly and routinely lift and push at least 50 pounds.
- Completion of a background check required.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
One City is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all team members and applicants, and to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $16.00 /hour
- early childhood teaching: 2 years (Required)