MacElree Harvey, a well-respected mid-sized law firm has an opportunity available for an experiencedEstates and Trust Paralegal in their West Chester office.
This position supports attorneys in Estates Practice group to effectively handle client matters. Responsibilities include assisting attorneys in the preparation of estate and trust documentation, including but not limited to estate, inheritance and income tax returns, Accountings, Receipt and Release Agreements and related estate and trust documents required in estate and trust administration; Assists, as needed, in Orphans’ Court litigation.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Handle the execution and administration of trusts, decedents’ and guardian estates, wills, intestacy and other estate and trust matters. Involves heavy substantial client contact.
- Prepare and implement an income tax plan for the estate during administration. Prepare federal estate, state inheritance, federal gift and federal and state fiduciary income tax returns.
- Assess IRA distributions for decedent and collaborate with attorney to offer tax consequences to beneficiaries for IRAs and annuities.
- Responsible for obtaining tax identification numbers for estates and trusts.
- Prepare inventories, accounts, petitions and pleadings.
- Handle gathering, identifying and valuation of assets. Draft correspondence, bills and various documents pertaining to estates and trusts. Prepare accountings for estates, trusts and foundations.
- Review and interpret wills and trust agreements. As required, assist Work with attorney in drafting estate planning documents.
- Prepare ancillary estate administration documentation.
- Coordinate periodic income and principal distributions from trusts and the transfer of assets into trusts.
- Meet with clients to discuss estate and trust matters and supervise execution of documents.
- Maintain financial records of trusts and estates.
- Make income payments to trust beneficiaries.
- Prepare schedule of distribution for trust or estate assets at termination of a trust or estate.
- Administer all deadlines for income, estate and inheritance tax returns and related filings, as well as beneficiary notices, Department of Public Welfare notices, advertising, disclaimers and Status Report.
- Identify assets requiring protection and handle documentation necessary to effect sale or transfer of assets.
- Maintain estate records, bank accounts and investments.
- Conduct legal research to identify laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases including locating cases, depositions, opinions, reports and information related to the matter. Use all available resources including libraries and computer data systems.
- Utilize computerized systems and software.
- Familiarity with and ability to assist in Handle all issues/documentation with respect to Medicaid planning and Veterans benefits.
- Keep abreast of all developments related to estate and trust practice.
- Paralegal certificate preferred. Bachelor’s Degree a plus.
- 5 or more years of paralegal experience supporting trusts and estates attorneys preferred.
- Experience working with high net-worth clients preferred.
- Must be computer proficient, with working knowledge of MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel required, and be able to prepare all documents produced by attorney or paralegal without secretarial support.
- Working knowledge of Outlook and Familiarity or working knowledge of iManage or similar document management system required. preferred.
- Familiarity or experience with tax software such as Lackner 6-in-1 and ProSeries®.
- Must exhibit a high degree of initiative in managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, utilizing excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented, with the ability to multi-task.
- Working knowledge of Outlook and iManage or similar document management system required.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow. Must possess a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work comfortably and confidently with clients.
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices at a level normally acquired through formal paralegal training or its equivalent.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person, by e-mail and telephone and follow the instruction effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Estates and Trust Paralegal: 5 years (Preferred)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place