Primary responsibility is the provision of central pharmacy and satellite pharmacy operational staffing, integrated clinical and distributive pharmacy services, decentralized pharmacy practice, and direct patient care programs. Performs all duties necessary for the effective daily operation of the central pharmacy, satellite pharmacy areas, and decentralized pharmacy areas. Actively participates in direct patient care programs, drug management services, medication uses systems, and student experiential training throughout the institution. Actively functions as a member of pharmacy practice programs and clinical pharmacy services to proficiently complete critical medication order scrutiny, drug profile review, and monitoring of patients with a broad range of disease states to identify, prevent, or mitigate medication-related problems. Actively participates in medication safety systems, regulatory compliance initiatives, patient quality services, and disease outcomes programs. Delivers medication therapy management consult services as needed and proactively intervenes in all areas of medication use as appropriate to optimize patient outcomes. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Strong verbal and written communication, organizational, problem-solving, and customer service skills
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changes as necessary
- Ability to work well without supervision and to supervise personnel
- Ability to interact constructively with supervisors, peers, and support personnel
- Ability to analyze data and follow up and resolve discrepancies
- Ability to keep accurate and complete records
- Ability to teach, precept, and facilitate experiential training
- Initiative to keep abreast of developments in the provision of pharmacy services
- Initiative to keep abreast of new information/products/developments in the field of pharmacy
- Proficiency in general hospital pharmacy operations and regulatory compliance
- Proficiency with hospital computer systems, pharmacy technology, and pharmacy automation
- Proficiency in hospital pharmacy practice, patient-centered care, advanced pharmacy practice, medication therapy management, and evidence-based medicine
- Expertise using Cerner pharmacy solutions and services (Preferred)
- Expertise using Pyxis automated dispensing technology (Preferred)
- Working analytical and data management skills (Preferred)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (Preferred)
- Working knowledge of the accreditation requirements of Det Norske Veritas and International Organization for Standardization quality management systems (Preferred)
- Working knowledge of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Accreditation Standards for Pharmacy Residency Programs (Preferred)
- Working knowledge of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists National Practice Standards(Preferred)
- Knowledge of ACLS (Preferred)
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy, or other advanced pharmacy degree
- Contemporary hospital pharmacy experience (1+ years) (Preferred)
- Practice experience in a large hospital (greater than 500 bed institution) and integrated healthcare system (three or more hospitals in system) (Preferred)
- Post Graduate Year One (PGY1) Pharmacy Residency (Preferred)
- Current, valid State of Florida Pharmacist license
- Registration as a pharmacist preceptor with the Florida Board of Pharmacy and the various schools of pharmacy located within the State of Florida (Preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program
- Pharmacy Operations – Actively performs all pharmacist functions, actively participates in established standard work parameters, and maintains functional proficiency in and actively provides coverage of central pharmacy and satellite areas as requested. Provides primary coverage of pharmacy dispensing areas and staffing in operational programs. Maintains operational expertise in, actively provides coverage of, and proactively leads the services provided by central pharmacy, IV room pharmacy, and satellite pharmacy areas. Oversees and ensures appropriate utilization of medication automation, technology, and computer systems. Accurately oversees the management of medication inventories and the preparation and dispensing of patient-specific medication doses. Supervises technician and intern practice, prioritizes work load, organizes work flow, and checks accuracy of pharmacy technician activities.
- Pharmacy Practice – Completes critical medication order scrutiny, drug profile review, and patient monitoring to identify, prevent, or mitigate medication-related problems. Proficiently verifies/enters medication orders and proactively communicates with medical staff to resolve problem medication orders. Provides patient-centered care services, including accurate, safe and timely medication therapy, and promotes cost-effective drug therapy, including actively participating in stewardship activities and restricted medication/surveillance programs. Initiates and facilitates appropriate drug dosing and manages medication-related pharmacist consults. Facilitates medication safety practices, including identifying, mitigating, and reporting potential and actual adverse drug events, adverse drug reactions, and medication errors. Participates in the management of medical emergencies. Maintains continuous learning and pharmacy practice development.
- Clinical Pharmacy Services – Actively participates in direct patient care programs and provides accurate, safe, timely, and appropriate medication therapy based on patient needs. Works as an active member of pharmacy clinical programs and collaborates with healthcare providers and decentralized pharmacy staff, and places practice priority on the delivery of patient-centered care. Provides coverage of decentralized pharmacy areas and maintains proficiency to practice in several decentralized patient care areas and practice assignments.
- Teamwork and Inter-professional Collaboration
- Presents to assigned areas on time and ready to work and does not exhibit excessive unscheduled absenteeism. Ensures continuity of care between shifts, among pharmacy staff assignments, and across pharmacy practice areas. Supports other pharmacy operations and areas outside of current assignment. Works effectively with all members of the healthcare team to ensure the best outcome for the patient and demonstrates sensitivity to the perspective of the patient, caregiver, or health care colleague in all communications.
- Maintains a record of contribution and sustained commitment to pharmacy practice via documentation of pharmacist professional activities and practice advancement accomplishments. Documents improvements in and contributions to pharmacy practice.
- Participates in departmental meetings and educational activities as assigned. Supports practice advancement initiatives, clinical research projects, and stewardship initiatives led by colleagues and peers. Maintains professional image by participating in department practice councils and external pharmacy professional groups (local, state, or national).
- Teaching, Training, Precepting, and Mentoring – Mentors new staff and assists with training of all staff as requested. Supports experiential training of pharmacy trainees and mentors pharmacy students (IPPE and APPE) as requested. Demonstrates desire and aptitude for teaching and maintains competency in quality preceptor attributes including the roles of a preceptor. Completes preceptor skills assessment and development programs. Delivers effective evidence-based education to nurses, pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians.
- Quality Improvement, Regulatory Compliance, and Accreditation – Provides quality improvement initiatives to improve medication-related processes, pharmacy systems, or patient care programs. Provides regulatory compliance initiatives and supports institutional accreditation processes.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Clinical - Staff Pharmacist opportunity with Orlando and apply online today.
Clinical Staff Pharmacist, Pharmacy, Orlando
Staff / Associate
Oct 5, 2018, 12:11:28 PM