During the course of their careers, special agents carry out assignments in both investigations and protection and may be assigned to multiple duty stations throughout the U.S. and abroad. Duties include:
- Providing protection for various protectees.
- Conducting criminal investigations pertaining to financial obligations of the United States.
- Planning and implementing security designs for National Special Security Events.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizenship is required
- Possess a current valid driver's license
- You must obtain a Top Secret Clearance and retain it during your career.
Conditions of Employment you will be required to:
- Possess uncorrected visual acuity of no worse than 20/100 binocular, possess corrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye.(Note: Lasik, ALK, RK, and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for special agent applicants. Applicants will be considered eligible for the special agent position provided specific visual tests are passed. The following are waiting periods for visual tests:Lasik-2 months after surgery, PRK-6 months after surgery, ALK and RK-one year after surgery).
- Hearing loss, as measured by an audiometer, must not exceed 25 decibels (A.S.A. or equivalent I.S.O.) in either ear in the 500,1000 and 2000Hz ranges.
- Be at least age 21 at the time of application and less than age 37 at the time you receive a conditional offer of employment, unless you have previous service in a Federal Civilian Law Enforcement position covered by special law enforcement or firefighter retirement provisions, including early or mandatory retirement. Applicants with veteran's preference must receive a conditional offer of employment prior to reaching age 40 to continue in the application process.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position. Disclose any prior drug use, attempted use, and/or experimentation.
- Carry and use a firearm. Maintaining firearm proficiency is mandatory. You will be ineligible to occupy this position if at any time you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, unless you received a pardon or your conviction was expunged or set aside.
- Complete 13 weeks of intensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center(FLETC) in Glynco, GA and 18 weeks of specialized training at the James J. Rowley Training Center in Laurel, MD. Failure to pass the training program on the first attempt may result in separation from the Secret Service. Click hereto review standard.
- Sign a mobility agreement stating your willingness to accept assignments anywhere within the United States and overseas.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Be appointed to this position under an excepted appointment which is limited to 3 years and 120 days. Upon completion of this period, you will either be converted to career status or separated based on the expiration of the appointment.
You are minimally qualified for the GL-07 Level (starting salary $52,921) if you possess one of the following: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with superior academic achievement (S.A.A.) which is based on class standing, grade-point average, or honor society membership (for more information on S.A.A. please click here); OR at least one full year of graduate level education (i.e., 18 semester hours); OR at least 1 year of specialized experience in, or related to, the investigative methods, protective methods, and law enforcement techniques that provide the specific competencies to successfully perform the position's duties. Experience also includes exercising initiative; attention to detail; judgment in collecting, assembling and developing facts, evidence or other pertinent data; the ability to analyze and evaluate data or evidence to arrive at sound conclusions including applying new information; and the ability to partner with or lead others in the accomplishment of mission activities.
You are minimally qualified for the GL-09 Level (starting salary $59,021) if you possess one of the following: A master's or equivalent graduate degree (such as LL.B. or J.D.) or two full years of progressively higher graduate education, in a related field, leading to such a degree from an accredited college or university; OR have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-7 level such as experience applying law enforcement, protective, or investigative techniques in the performance of job duties; identifying problem areas and proposing and implementing solutions; taking responsibility for own actions and those of team members to ensure the goals and deadlines for the team are met; and leading meeting or seminars on behalf of a professional or academic group; setting work priorities and allocating resources; partnering with other individuals from within and outside the organization; OR a combination of specialized experience, as described above, and related graduate level education, beyond the first full year of graduate level study.
You are minimally qualified for the GS-11 Level (Starting salary $69,107) if you possess one of the following: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.M., OR have at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GL-9 level which is defined as experience in, or related to planning and conducting complex criminal investigations to determine violations of Federal laws and regulations; collecting and assembling facts to identify logical conclusion; gathering, analyzing, and evaluating evidence or data; conducting interviews and interrogations; making arrests; conducting searches and seizures; taking responsibility for own actions and those of team members to ensure the goals and deadlines for the team are met; partnering with or leveraging networks or relationships from outside the organization, experience managing complex projects including setting priorities and determining resource requirements; OR a combination of specialized experience, as described above, and related graduate level education, beyond the first full year of doctoral level study.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $52,921.00 - $111,157.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In person