Performs a variety of technical duties to assist the surgeon, patient and or team with surgical procedures. Responsible for carrying out the mission, vision and quality commitment of Good Shepherd Health Care System.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
A. Personal Traits, Qualities and Aptitudes
Must be able to:
1. Perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of
Efficiency or composure
2. Work independently
3. Recognize the rights and responsibilities of patient confidentiality
4. Convey empathy and compassion to those expressing pain, grief or trauma
5. Relate to others in a manner that creates a sense of teamwork and cooperation
6. Incorporate guest relations in daily activities.
B. Working Conditions
Inside environment, protected from the weather but not necessarily temperature changes. Subject to frequent exposure to infection, contagious disease, and hazardous materials and equipment. Occasionally subject to combative patients. Variable noise levels. Also subject to rapid pace, multiple stimuli, unpredictable environment, and critical situations.
C. Physical Demands/Traits
Must be able to:
1. Perceive the nature of sounds by the ear
2. Express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word
3. Perceive characteristics of objects through the eyes
4. Extend arms and hands in any direction
5. Seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise work with hands
6. Pick, pinch, or otherwise work with fingers
7. Able to lift/carry 50 lbs or more
8. Able to tolerate frequent prolonged standing/walking
9. Able to lift, position, push and/or transfer patients.
Required: Must be a graduate of an accredited school or Surgical Technology Program,
Required: Must possess a minimum of one year current operating room experience (student experience allowed).
C. Licenses, Certifications, and/or registration.
Desired: Certification as Surgery Tech.
D. Equipment/Tools/Work Aides
Includes but is not limited to surgical instruments and equipment, video equipment, and sterilizers.
E. Specialized Knowledge & Skills
Ability to provide care for the patient's age-specific, cultural physical and psychosocial well being during the perioperative phase.
Bilingual and/or English-Spanish speaking preferred. Ability to work with culturally diverse populations.