How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Stays no more then arms length away from the patient at all times.
- Contacts the nurse if you need to leave the patient's bedside for any reason - never leave the patient alone or with a friend or family member unless directed to do so by the registered nurse.
- Completes the Close Observation Record or Intensive Observation Record.
- Keeps bed rails in the position directed by the registered nurse.
- Keeps bed in the lowest possible position.
- Keeps call bell within reach to call for assistance if needed.
- Removes all sharp objects from patient's reach if directed by the nurse (razors, knives, glass, pens, pencils, scissors, etc.).
- Prevents patients from pulling out tubes, IVs, drains, dressings, etc. by explaining that it is something needed to make them better.
- If the patient is in restraints make sure they stay in place and never apply or remove restraints without the registered nurse at the bedside with you.
- Informs the nurse immediately if a patient has loosened a restraint or disrupted as tube or dressing.
- Reports any unusual behavior to the nurse i.e. confusion or disorientation (the patient does not know who they are or where they are), extreme sleepiness, hallucinations (the patient thinks they hear voices or see bugs / people who are not there).
- Reports any unusual comments to the nurse such as 'I want to die.', 'I feel like killing myself', 'They won't stop me next time'.
- Assists with hygiene, toileting, etc. under the direct supervision of the registered nurse. Reports anything unusual to the registered nurse immediately including visitors or family acting in an inappropriate manner or in a manner that is upsetting to the patient. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.