This position is a full-time position at the Child Development Center. When the college is closed, the center is closed.
Classification Title Early Childhood Classroom Teacher
Job Code 5065 (FT), 5565 (PT)
Position Pay Grade B/C 08
Position Type Full-Time
An incumbent is responsible for planning, presenting, and evaluating developmentally appropriate child development activities for a particular classroom in the campus Child Development Center.
Nature and Scope
An incumbent reports to the Child Development Center Manager and is responsible for planning, presenting, and evaluating age-appropriate activities to meet the individual needs of the children in a particular classroom. Incumbents are responsible for the overall supervision of activities and staff assigned to the classroom; for maintaining structure, health, safety, and order; and for providing support and guidance to the children. Ages of the children may range from infants to school-aged. A significant aspect of the work involves establishing and maintaining positive relationships with the children enrolled in the program and with their families. Additionally, the incumbent may monitor, facilitate, and reviews Early Childhood Education students with the completion of their laboratory observation experiences.
An incumbent may perform any combination of the below listed accountabilities:
1. Plans and develops written weekly lesson plans for the developmentally appropriate child development activities related to the following domains: cognitive, language, physical, and social emotional.
2. Assesses the physical, cognitive, social, and emotional development of the children using guidelines provided by the Child Development Center Manager. Identifies and reports any developmental delays to the Child Development Center Manager in order to determine if referrals for special services are needed.
3. Maintains on-going communication with staff, children, and their families.
4. Under the direction of the Child Development Center Manager, maintains health and safety standards for all program environments.
5. Works with the Child Development Center Manager to supervise Early Childhood Classroom Assistants and/or volunteers, including coordinating their daily assignments and providing feedback.
6. Maintains written and electronic records regarding each child’s development, daily activities, injury reports, etc. as assigned by the Child Development Center Manager.
7. Makes recommendations to the Child Development Center Manager for the purchase of supplies, equipment, and classroom materials.
8. Assists in maintaining the cleanliness of supplies and equipment and performing light housekeeping duties for the Center as needed.
9. Conducts parent conferences a minimum of two per year.
10. Monitors, facilitates, and reviews Early Childhood Education Methods and Practicum students with their laboratory experiences.
11. Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of State of Delaware child care licensing regulations.
Knowledge of College and program rules, regulations, and requirements.
Knowledge of child behavior and development.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to prepare and maintain written records.
Ability to enforce rules firmly, impartially, and effectively.
Ability to use sound judgment and remain calm when confronted with emergency situations.
Ability to distinguish and respond appropriately to inappropriate behavior.
Ability to assess the physical, cognitive, social, and emotional development of children.
Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Associate degree in a relevant field.
Two (2) years of relevant experience is preferred.
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Per DelaCare regulations, an FBI clearance, State of Delaware Criminal History Background Check and TB screening are required of the final candidate prior to employment.
C.P.R. and First Aid Certificate must be obtained within two (2) months of hire.
Posting Number REG1433PO
Number of Vacancies
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Date 05/24/2018
Close Date 06/07/2018
Open Until Filled No
Special Applicant Instructions