Requisition ID: 76126
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices in the United States, Canada and abroad. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, heavy civil, power, oil, gas and chemical, industrial, food & beverage, building and mining. Consistently ranked in the top five among ENR’s Top 400 Contractors, Kiewit's workforce includes approximately 10,000 staff and 12,500 craft workers. Kiewit Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Kiewit participates in E-Verify.
Kiewit Power Engineering’s business located in Lenexa, KS is currently seeking a Vice President of Business Development to lead our Engineering Services business development team to rapidly expand our footprint in the power market. The role will report to the Executive Vice President, Services within Kiewit Power, Engineering Services group of Kiewit Engineering Group Inc. The role will be one of three business development leaders in Kiewit Power and will coordinate with counterparts in Power Delivery and EPC sales to achieve growth and diversity in our business practices in Power. The role represents the lead position for outside sales of Kiewit Power Engineering and will direct several regional Business Development Managers as well as proposal and marketing professionals to achieve annual sales goals.
Engineering Services is a profit & loss center that is the home for established business models such as New Generation and Plant Retrofits and also houses growing businesses such as Renewables, Field Inspection Services (drones, laser scanning and other field tech), Water and other market ventures as may be proposed. Engineering Services is charged with traditional consulting thru detailed design on projects. The role requires an expertise in the EPC delivery model and all its various forms. Services is charged with deploying EPC projects as the engineer and project manager with third party contractors as well as Kiewit construction districts outside of Power. The role will seek to expand our services volume thru all delivery methods. This role will be highly dynamic as it will involve both established and startup businesses within the engineering segment of Kiewit’s markets thereby requiring an individual with entrepreneurial skills.
The role will oversee the management of account plans, capture plans and proposal content to ensure an effective and efficient approach to capture work. The role will collaborate with business leaders on financial and personnel resources necessary to achieve desired goals in the annual business plan. The role will involve the development of annual budgets and require the maintenance and enforcement throughout the year against those budgets and adjust as market conditions demand. The role will actively manage, mentor, train and coach all business development professionals in achieving peak sales results. The role will be responsible for outlining the approach to capture work in coordination with other business leaders. Utilizing resources including collaboration with the Director of Market Research and Analysis the role will forecast the market outlining annual, accessible and attainable volumes over time. The role will have direct responsibility for the Director of Proposals to ensure effective capture plans, value based proposal content and the establishment of standard proposal processes to ensure an efficient use of resources to capture work. The role will also work with the Engineering Services Marketing Liaison to develop and deploy content within social media initiatives, collateral materials, presentation development, client engagement events and other efforts as deemed appropriate to support and drive growth in the business. The role will lead the annual business planning process for business development and coordinate with various entities and personnel to assure a comprehensive and logical content for business projections and capture strategies (account plans, specific capture plans, markets, proposal and marketing strategies) are incorporated into the annual business plan. The role will also ensure that Kiewit’s Client Relationship Management (CRM) tool is actively maintained for effective use by business leaders and participating districts.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in marketing, sales and strategic planning in the Power market to drive the growth of an engineering and projects focused organization.
Kiewit Engineering is looking for a committed, energized and highly motivated individual who has a passion for achieving excellence and wishes to join our growth in the Power market. The role includes but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
• Lead a set of dedicated sales professionals to achieve annual year over year growth and annual sales goals for the respective markets
• Managing a team of business development professionals with development and hiring responsibilities as necessary
• Regularly ‘ride along’ with business development professionals to offer support, coaching and assist in business capture
• Prepare and coordinate a detailed business plan that incorporates overall, accessible and attainable market with anticipated forecasting of revenues and business development overhead costs (professionals, collateral, conferences, advertising, sponsorships, client events, etc.) throughout the planning period
• Serve as the go-between for engineering and marketing to develop collateral content, presentations, proposals, videos, social media content and advertising to drive growth for the various businesses
• Coordinate with marketing to drive a media campaign focused on the businesses and facilitate content and professionals to ensure Kiewit Engineering is seen as a thought leadership organization
• Drive and manage appropriate engagement at industry relevant conferences ensuring the development of messaging, attendance and investment that efficient drive growth and sales
• Ensure the development and consistent utilization of internal bid/no-bid justifications such as competitive position; win strategy, partnering, etc.
• Monitor and analyze the competition and provide real time input to business leaders on noteworthy shifts by the competition that may represent threats or opportunities for Kiewit
• Ensure an effective approach to proposal development and assist with the desired content for proposal documents and engineering estimate to successfully capture work
• Actively manage the presentation of proposals to customers including customer follow-up all the way through capture of the work and soliciting client feedback
• Engage with clients for the purpose of business development and communicate the value propositions developed for Kiewit Engineering
• Maintain a strong network of industry related individuals (OEM’s, 3rd Party Contractors, Developers, etc.) for the purpose of expanding Kiewit Engineering’s services and opportunities
• Maintain a strong network with key account decision makers and drive business capture with their organizations
• Actively manage CRM content and work with developers to ensure the tool and reports facilitate capture
• Actively manage overhead to a budget committed to growing the business
• Actively participate in executive leadership meetings that may exist outside of the bounds of Engineering Services, but serves the greater purpose of Kiewit
The ideal candidate for the Vice President, Business Development position will possess the following qualities:
• A minimum of 15 years proven experience in the Power industry
• Over $300M in personal sales achievements
• A strong set of industry contacts and clients with whom Kiewit is, or desires to be, engaged
• Demonstrated business planning and growth experience
• Bachelor of Science degree in Business, Marketing and/or Science related field
• Strong leadership and networking skills
• Willingness to travel (50% of time) with overnight stays required
• High degree of self-motivation
• Motivated by competition, yet a team player
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from day one of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.