Department of Health
OPS COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSE - 64942110
Posting Closing Date:
This is a professional nursing position performed in a school setting serving the school age children. Confidentiality of all activities is required. This position consists of varied work responsibilities and skills requiring independent decision making, planning, and organizing. Certification in CPR and First Aid is required to be maintained. This position provides supervision, training and direction of LPNs, the Health Support Technician and Health Clinic Assistant in health room activities / management. Provides public health information and counseling to students, their families and the school community. Work is performed under the supervision of a Senior Community Health Nurse Coordinator for professional and administrative direction. The school Principal is the ultimate overseer of records and the children on the campus.
Must possess a valid Florida Registered Nurses License and possess current CPR & First Aid certificates. Must have at least one year experience working with children/adolescent and knowledge of children vaccines AND developing individual care plans.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge, skills and abilities, including utilization of equipment, required for the position:
- Possess ability to work and communicate with children and adolescents, parents, and school staff.
- Possess good knowledge of a normal Childhood Maturation process.
- Ability and skill to perform basic nursing functions, including but not limited to, assessment and treatment of injuries and/or illness.
- Possess ability to handle large volumes of people, emergency situations, and/or difficult people.
- Ability to direct/monitor an HST in the clinical setting.
- Skilled in accurate and detailed record keeping; including use of computer.
All applications must be completed online through People First. No faxed or mailed applications will be accepted by the agency.
Your response to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process. **
This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit.
You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to conduct this background check.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: http://www.sss.gov
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.
The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility.
Incumbents may be required to perform emergency duty before, during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days.
WHAT IS OPS EMPLOYMENT?
Other Personal Services (OPS) employment is a temporary employer/employee relationship used solely for accomplishing short term or intermittent tasks. OPS are at-will employees and are subject to actions such as pay changes, changes to work assignment and terminations at the recommendation of the employer.
WHAT BENEFITS ARE APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES? (If applicable)
- State of Florida 401(a) FICA Alternative Plan- Mandatory
- Workers’ Compensation- Mandatory
- Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Compensation)- Mandatory
- Participation in state group insurance (upon meeting eligibility requirements. Consult with People First and/or the serving HR office)
- Deferred Compensation- Voluntary
- Employee Assistance Program- Voluntary
WHAT BENEFITS ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
- Any form of paid leave
- Paid holidays
- Participation in the Florida Retirement System
- Reinstatement rights or retention rights
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Nearest Major Market: