The mission of the New York City Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in New York City by working in partnership with the community to enforce the law, preserve peace, protect the people, reduce fear, and maintain order. The NYPD strives to foster a safe and fair city by incorporating Neighborhood Policing into all facets of Department operations, and solve the problems that create crime and disorder through an interdependent relationship between the people and its police, and by pioneering strategic innovation.
The Facilities Management Division, Building Maintenance Section (BMS) manages the physical operation maintenance and repair of department facilities. BMS is seeking Plumbers who will be responsible for the following:
When assigned as a licensed plumber, will be responsible for:
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing piping of all kinds of water, gas, storm, waste, soil, and vent systems;
- Set maintain and repair plumbing fixtures, equipment and appurtenances.
- When necessary, determining and requisitioning job materials while work is in progress;
- Supervising and being responsible for the work of Plumber’s Helpers;
- Operating a motor vehicle.
- Obtaining written building permits and/or approvals for plumbing work to be performed;
- Conducting and/or witnessing tests on plumbing and gas piping systems;
- Preparing applications, reports, notices and other documents;
- Preparing sketches and layouts which may be required.
Minimum Qual Requirements
(1) Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a plumber acquired within the last ten years; or
(2) Not less than three years of full-time satisfactory experience described in "1" above plus sufficient full-time experience as a plumber’s helper or apprentice, or training of a relevant nature acquired in an approved trade school, technical school or vocational high school, to make up the equivalent of five years of acceptable plumber experience.
The apprenticeship must be recognized by the New York State Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of Labor or any apprenticeship council which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor. The schooling must be approved by a state’s Department of Education or comparable agency. Each year of helper or apprentice experience, or approved schooling is equivalent to six months of satisfactory plumber experience, up to a maximum of two years of satisfactory experience.
Driver License Requirement:
You must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York at the time of appointment. If you have moving violations, license suspension or an accident record, you may be disqualified. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining organization
- Ability to meet deadlines quickly and efficiently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
In compliance with Federal Law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, CANDIDATES MUST BE PERMANENT IN THE PLUMBER TITLE OR REACHABLE ON THE OPEN COMPETITIVE CIVIL SERVICE LIST.
PLEASE INDICATE IF YOU ARE PERMANENT OR INCLUDE YOUR CIVIL SERVICE LIST # IN YOUR COVER LETTER.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a program.
Please click "Apply Now"
7 am to 2:30 pm
59-06 Laurel Hill Blvd, Queens, NY
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.