Lower Kuskokwim School District
An exciting place to learn, a rewarding place to teach!
The Lower Kuskokwim School District (LKSD) is an exciting and rewarding place to learn and teach in “bush” Alaska. LKSD is the largest rural school district in Alaska with 27 schools, 350 teachers, and about 4,000 Yup’ik students. The landmass of the District is about the size of West Virginia spreading along the Kuskokwim River and Bering Coast of southwest Alaska. Travel is by jet from Anchorage, and then by small plane, snowmobile or boat from Bethel to the village sites.
The mission of the Lower Kuskokwim School District is to ensure bilingual, culturally appropriate and effective education for all students, thereby providing them with the opportunity to be responsible, productive citizens.
- Maintain high expectations for student academic success and conduct
- Administer a variety of formal and informal assessments to measure student growth and mastery and to evaluate and refine instruction
- Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations
- Collaborate closely with fellow teachers and other staff members
- Differentiate instruction effectively to meet the individual needs of students
- Identify students who are academically at risk and initiate effective intervention strategies
- Participate actively in professional development
- Communicate frequently with parents
- Build strong relationships with students, staff and families
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedures and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulations
- Attends and participates in Community School Committee and various Advisory Committee meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Ability to live and work in a cross-cultural, rural Alaskan environment.
- Valid Alaska Teaching Certification or the ability to obtain one.
- Student Teaching, Education Internship, or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Full-time position
- Full flight reimbursement from Work Site to Anchorage
- Health insurance with no premiums
- Induction teacher training program
- Ongoing training and career development opportunities
- Teacher Housing provided with subsidized rent
- $3000 Signing Bonus
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $52,999.00 to $77,245.00 /year
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $52,999.00 to $77,245.00 /hour
- Teaching Certificate (Required)