This position is ideal for a driven and team-oriented individual that can manage keeping up with tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment working with many departments to meet specific needs. Housekeepers work within a group and in pairs in a goal-driven environment to ensure that Zoo guests enjoy a clean and safe environment. This position works in a variety of locations including restrooms, offices, behind the scenes staff areas, outside exhibits, and more. Ability to work on weekends and after hours for events as needed, required.
Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Must have a positive attitude, good communication skills and be a team player
- Portray a helpful attitude when interacting with our Guests
- Project a professional image while in uniform and respond to radio calls in a timely manner
- Provides information and directions to guests concerning the Zoo mission, rules and events
- Proactive in reporting any questions, concerns, or supplies needed to the supervisor
- Must be able to complete repetitive tasks while maintaining quality
- Must be self-directed and able to work with limited supervision
- Sanitizes bathrooms, including sinks, mirrors, floors, walls and replenishes necessary supplies
- Makes sure staff offices are kept orderly through general area cleaning
- Dusting, empties trash and recycling
- Sweeps, mops and vacuums
- Removes trash and litter from public areas
- Maintains appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when working with chemicals and supplies that could be hazardous
- Inspects the integrity of supplies, and adheres to Zoo policies and procedures to ensure the safety and welfare of collection animals, guests, and other staff members
- Completes a daily checklist of job duties performed
- Must have flexible schedule to support special events
- Completes other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma / GED
- One to Three Months relevant work experience
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
About Houston Zoo
The Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts with over 6,000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! There are over 2 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well-being of our residents and guests. We strive to ensure the protection of all the counterparts of the animals we have at the Zoo and in the wild.
Join the Houston Zoo and become a part of an organization that is focused on the preservation of wildlife and their habitats by combining conservation with education and promotion of sustainable livelihoods in the local communities. Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disclaimer The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis. Benefits This is a full-time position and offers the following benefits: • Medical and Prescription Drug • Vision • Dental • Basic Life AD&D (100% Employer Paid) • Short Term Disability (100% Employer Paid) • Long Term Disability (100% Employer Paid) • Supplemental Life • Flexible Spending Account / Health Savings Account • 401k • Free Zoo Membership • Free Guest Passes • Discounts on Food, Merchandise, Attractions, Admission and Programs Houston Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.