ANIMAL CARE SPECIALIST - DISCOVERY ZONE TEAM (PART TIME)
The Animal Care Specialist is responsible for performing routine work assignments, involving the daily care and welfare of animals within their area. This position also performs daily maintenance of exhibit and holding areas, as well as interacts with the public to provide information related to the Zoo’s animal collection.
This position will work with the Discovery Zone Team, which is responsible for the daily husbandry of various species of domestic hoofstock, amphibians, non-venomous snakes, American alligators, small primates, two-toed sloth, macaws and kookaburras.
POSITION DUTIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Performs daily animal husbandry activities, including:
- Preparing diets and delivering animal feedings.
- Giving medications and assisting with various animal health procedures.
- Observing, logging, and reporting issues concerning animal behavior, health and welfare.
- Training animals for basic husbandry and enrichment behaviors.
- Creating and implementing various enrichment items/strategies.
Completes daily maintenance of exhibits and holding areas, including:
- Cleaning exhibits, holding stalls and staff areas.
- Performing minor repairs and improvements.
- Reporting maintenance issues and potential safety hazards to appropriate manager.
Maintains daily reports and other required records.
Interacts with Zoo guests and the public, including:
- Performing various animal chats and animal shows, as well as assisting with special events related to assigned area.
- Engaging with daily visitors to answer questions about the Zoo and animals.
- This position may at times be requested to perform other duties or special projects as assigned, which are in the best interest of the Kansas City Zoo. Additionally, specific duties and percentages may vary slightly between each Animal Care Team.
- EDUCATION & FORMAL TRAINING:
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s Degree/working towards degree in biology, animal science, zoology or related field preferred.
- High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate accepted with at least 3 years’ experience in similar position.
- Previous related Zoo or animal husbandry experience preferred.
- Knowledge of animal husbandry, behavior and procedures for proper care and training of exotic animals.
- Strong observation skills to recognize and evaluate conditions of animal health, diets and behavior.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, including procedures for care and maintenance of animals, exhibit, service and holding areas.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- OTHER MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have valid driver's license.
- Must have or be able to obtain negative TB test.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and have sufficient mobility to ensure a safe work environment.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to tolerate stress, endure high risk situations when feeding, transferring, or restraining animals, and make immediate decisions concerning the safety of animals, staff or the public.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays and evening hours, in all weather extremes.
- Must pass a background and drug screening.