Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., a leading independent publisher in the scientific, technical, and medical information industry, known worldwide for establishing authoritative peer-reviewed journals, books, and life science trade publications, is currently seeking a Senior Science Editor to join our dynamic team in the GEN Publishing division.
The Senior Science Editor has a crucial role in identifying, reporting and writing compelling science news and feature stories for Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (GEN) and its sister magazine, Clinical OMICS (CO), both in print and online. This individual provides original reporting for GEN/CO, supplying authoritative, in-depth and accessible coverage across a variety of subject areas within the editorial remit of GEN/CO, including:
- OMICS (next-gen sequencing, epigenetics, proteomics)
- Translational Research
- Drug discovery & Development
- Gene Editing (CRISPR, etc).
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Personalized Medicine
- Healthcare/EHRs/digital medicine
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, knowledgeable science writer. A PhD is preferred but not essential. This individual understands the importance of high-quality, timely news reporting and feature writing for the success of GEN, GEN Edge (a new premium subscription channel) and CO. An ability to identify and report exclusive stories that ensure GEN/CO are driving the conversation is highly valued. At the same time, this individual is part of a close-knit team who can balance several projects and assignments and deliver stories on deadline.
Specific duties include:
- Write news and feature stories for GEN, GEN Edge and CO
- Contribute daily news stories for the daily GEN News Highlights, based on embargoed news releases
- Report and write original feature articles for GEN that fit within the editorial pillars, as proposed to editors or as assigned
- Research, report, and write news/feature stories for CO online, as well as original feature articles for CO magazine, as proposed and/or assigned by the Editor-in-Chief
- Plan, execute, and edit additional GEN/CO content as developed with editorial leadership and the Executive VP, including production of e-newsletters
- Provide content ideas and material for sponsored content projects in consultation with Custom Content Services Director and sales colleagues
- Contribute content for MAL journals (including The CRISPR Journal, Human Gene Therapy, etc) in consultation with editorial staff and EICs
- Represent GEN/CO at conferences and lab visits
- Contribute to podcasts, host webinars, and other multimedia projects
- Play an active role on social media to disseminate personal stories and other GEN/CO material
- Travel to relevant industry conferences (approximately 15-25%)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, which can be either journalism, writing or related, or in a science field (significant experience can substitute for a degree)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience writing and editing as a journalist or science writer
- Substantive editing and copy editing
- Writing for digital media, including online publications, blogs, and social media
- Competitive compensation depending on experience
- Comprehensive benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, 401k (with match), etc.
- An opportunity to grow with an evolving, dynamic, successful organization
Interested candidates are encouraged to reply with a resume and cover letter.
Job Type: Full-time
- Journalist or Science Editing: 7 years (Required)
- Journalist or Science Writing: 7 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off