To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 12/28/2018
1. Ecclesiastical Endorsement:
An ecclesiastical endorsement, dated within 12 months prior to the closing date of the announcement, from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese for the Military Services USA. An ecclesiastical endorsement is the written official statement by the endorsing body certifying that you are in good standing with the faith group or denomination and that you, in the opinion of the endorsing body, are qualified to provide the full range of ministry required in the VA's pluralistic setting. To view his contact information, please click on link: https://www.patientcare.va.gov/chaplain/index.asp select and click, "Employment Information and Resources" and click on "List of Ecclesiastical Endorsers."
A Master of Divinity from an accredited institution or the equivalent. Equivalent education is a bachelor's degree (of at least 120 semester hours) from an accredited institution plus at least 70 graduate semester hours which included all of the following: at least 20 semester hours in pastoral ministry; 20 semester hours in any combination of theology, ethics, and philosophy of religion; 20 semester hours in the study of sacred writings, including the study of languages in which sacred writings are written; and 10 semester hours in religious history and/or world religions.
3. Clinical Pastoral Education:
In addition to the education requirement, applicants must have completed at least 2 units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) [as defined by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE)]. 800 hours of supervised ministry in a formal training program which incorporated both ministry formation and pastoral care skills development will be considered for equivalency to the required CPE.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work can help build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
A minimum of three years of ministry experience. At least two years of this experience must have followed completion of the Master of Divinity or equivalent education. Experience during graduate education may count for up to one year of the three years of required experience. One year of the experience must have demonstrated all of the following:
(a) ability to serve as a consultant or expert to a multidisciplinary treatment team;
(b) in-depth knowledge of related professional fields, particularly in the behavioral sciences;
(c) understanding of, and ability to respond to, the particular concerns and issues pertaining to treatment of veterans;
(d) knowledge of the structure, regulations, practices, and programs of healthcare delivery systems;
(e) ability to interpret and apply a body of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures in professional practice;
(f) ability to develop and maintain liaisons with a variety of outside organizations.
5. English Language Proficiency:
- Completion of a doctoral degree directly related to pastoral ministry may be substituted for one year of this experience, unless the doctoral degree is used to satisfy the "equivalent education" as described above. Part time experience is prorated in comparison to 40 hours per week to determine its length.
All applicants must be proficient in written and spoken English.
6. Physical Requirement:
You must be able to pass the pre-employment physical. Pre-exam consist of: Light lifting, under 15 pounds; use of fingers; and be able to walk, 1 hour; hearing (aid is permitted).
A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume, List all jobs held whether paid or unpaid. You must indicate whether each job held was full time or part time. For part time jobs indicate the average number of hours you worked per week). Your application will not be considered if your resume does not have this information.
2. Assessment Questionnaire, You must complete online through www.usajobs.gov
3. Ecclesiastical Endorsement, dated within the past 12 months signed by the designated endorsing official of the faith group.
4. Clinical Pastoral Education or equivalent training, Certificates or evaluations showing completion of Clinical Pastoral Education. Only documented units of Clinical Pastoral Education completed in programs accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) or the National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC) automatically count toward the CPE requirement. You must provide a detailed narrative description of any other training you would like considered toward the CPE requirement. Your description must include the following information:
The beginning and ending dates of training
The name and location of the institution(s) in which the supervised ministry was performed;
The name(s) and title(s) of the educational supervisor(s)/instructor(s);
The total number of hours of performance of ministry in a health care setting; The total number of hours of classroom or didactics, and individual meetings with the supervisor/instructor;
The learning objectives, the method(s) of reporting on and evaluation of the practice of ministry, and how feedback from peers and teachers was obtained.
5. College transcript(s). Copies are acceptable. Transcripts must indicate the degree awarded, if any, and the date awarded or conferred. A copy of the certificate or diploma must be submitted, if no completion date is indicated on the transcript. Transcripts must show the name of the institution. If you have a Master of Divinity Degree you do not need to submit undergraduate transcripts.
Veteran's preference documents, if you are a Veteran. Please go to http://www.fedshirevets.gov/
DD-214 Member 4 copy
Veterans Affairs or Department of Defense service-connect letter, if claiming 10 points Veteran's preference.You download a VA service-connect letter at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal
Form SF-15, you may download from at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf
- All documents must be submitted by midnight EST on 12/28/2018