POSITION TITLE: Underwriter
DEPARTMENT: Primary Casualty
REPORTS TO: Underwriting Manager
EEO CATEGORY: Office/Clerical
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
Founded in 1985, IFG Companies (www.ifgcompanies.com) is one of the largest privately held insurance groups in the United States. IFG provides property-casualty insurance on both a non-admitted and an admitted basis through two business units: Commercial Accounts and Specialty Accounts. The Commercial Accounts offers liability and property coverage for smaller businesses and other entities through two business segments: Binding Authority and Commercial Underwriting. Specialty Accounts offers liability and property coverage to meet the specialized needs for larger businesses, through three business segments: Excess & Umbrella, Specialty General Liability and Brokerage Property. IFG is in the midst of a growth initiative. In 2014, the firm made a significant IT investment, launching a new binding authority proprietary system that allows producers to Issue Fast & Grow. Additionally, the company expanded its product lines into a new Excess and Umbrella business unit and opened offices in Atlanta, GA, Chicago, IL, and New York, NY. This move extended their national presence beyond established offices in Burlington, NC, Hartford, CT, and Scottsdale, AZ.
Reviews and investigates new business submissions and mid-term endorsement requests to determine acceptability for quoting/binding within granted Letter of Authority and established unit guidelines.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Selects, prices, classifies and determines coverage terms of individual general liability risks following established company guidelines and philosophies.
- Monitors key performance metrics in order to achieve individual and unit goals.
- Meets production and marketing goals while maintaining underwriting integrity and overall profitability of the product line.
- Develops production sources and relationships. Maintains excellent communication with brokers and makes broker visits as required.
- Exhibits thorough working knowledge of sound underwriting principles, policies, procedures, and controls.
- Works collaboratively with other team members and mentors less experienced underwriters and support staff.
- Keeps current on issues affecting the general liability line of business as well as the competitors and the overall marketplace. Attends industry conferences as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of commercial lines risk, classification, pricing and coverage options with adherence to applicable statutory compliance issues and corporate guidelines.
- Knowledge of basic Primary Casualty coverages preferred.
- Working knowledge of the wholesale agency distribution system preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and analyze data and make an informed, calculated risk decision.
- Strong computer skills (Excel|Word|SharePoint) with demonstrated high accuracy output
- Strong problem solving, reasoning, and decision making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while meeting established deadlines.
- Ability to demonstrate planning and organizational skills.
- Proven team player and energetic personality.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / CERTIFICATIONS
- College degree or equivalent work experience with demonstrated involvement in insurance industry education. CPCU designation preferred.
- Three years commercial general liability insurance experience.
- Minimum of five years commercial general liability insurance experience. - For Senior level Underwriter
- Physical demands are considered to be that of an office environment, climate controlled, with minimal physical exertion. This position requires prolonged sitting, ability to utilize a computer and interactions with others in meetings or via phone.
- Ability to travel as necessary according to business needs.
- We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, long-term care insurance, education assistance and paid time off.
IFG Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. M/F/D/V
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $0.00 per hour
- Excess and Specialty Underwriting: 1 year (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement