Full Job Description
J. A. Watts, Inc. is a leading professional services and general contracting firm providing project management, programming, and construction for public and private clients since 1999. Known for our unmistakable culture of treating clients and employees like family, we’ve built our reputation by developing long-term relationships and providing an energetic, diverse and inclusive workplace. We are a growing family that values people who are innovative, respectful, committed to excellence, and looking to develop their talents.
Our Senior Project Manager will oversee the growth of our Transit Rail capabilities focusing on Business Development and Strategic focus for our transit rail pursuits. They are responsible for owning the project scope and managing all aspects within our transit rail team, including but not limited to the design, planning, implementation, construction, closeout, stakeholder coordination, cost control, client satisfaction, team performance, and quality functions. The Senior Project Manager shall lead by example and personify the Company’s Mission, Vision, and Values; taking ownership of our Transit Rail program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and implement Transit Rail project strategy objectives, policies, procedures, roles and reporting structure, and performance standards within boundaries of company policy.
- Responsible for high level planning and programming analysis work including preparation of technical documents, testing plans, and proposals.
- Manage relationship with clients, sub-consultants, and contractors to define work procedures and resolve complaints and construction problems.
- Act as the primary interface representing the client and lead the project team through the entire project process.
- Represent company in project meetings and attend strategy meetings.
- Ensure effective communication is always maintained within the team structure and Leadership Team.
- Oversee the completion of weekly and monthly reports concerning work progress, costs, and scheduling. Manage schedule updates and distribute internally and externally.
- Manage all financial aspects of project contract(s), including labor, expenses and staffing projections, to protect company’s interest.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the client.
- Oversee project budgets, design plans, create and manage project forecasts, schedules and expenses; anticipate potential changes to budget, schedule, and expenses and provide guidance and analysis of changes.
- Responsible for interviewing, recommending, and negotiating contractual service agreements. Prepare, negotiate, and authorize revisions, changes, and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers, and subcontractors.
- Manage project staff and jobsite construction activities. Investigate potential situations and implement corrective measures as necessary. Develop contingency plans in advance to mitigate potential risk.
- Provide guidance, oversight, coaching, and mentoring to junior and mid-level Project Managers.
- Responsible for ensuring that project deliverables are on time, within budget, and at the required level of quality.
- Perform other duties as may be required/directed.
- A bachelor's degree in construction management, architecture or engineering, or equivalent work experience; Project Management certification (PMP, PMI), EIT or Professional Engineer preferred.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible project management experience in transit rail, preferably in engineering, construction management, or program management; experience in transit rail construction in Chicago preferred.
- Experience as a leader managing a team of direct reports, mentor, and problem solver with a commitment to excellence.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of contract management and budgeting/estimating.
- Advanced interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills; including the ability to work with diverse personalities to negotiate and resolve conflict.
- Excellent communication, leadership, and influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain effective working relationships with managers, peers, and subordinates.
- Active participation in industry organizations a plus.
- Experience using MS Office suite and industry related project management software.
Management of internal Project Management team(s)
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance options for employee and family. Health Savings and Flexible Spending Account options available.
- Company-provided group life, short and long-term disability, and voluntary life options.
- Matching 401(k) retirement plan.
- Paid time off and holidays.
- Professional development and tuition assistance.
- Company sponsored social events.