P.S. 58’s Carroll Kids is hiring part-time counselors with a weekly load of 15 to 30 hours for its Afterschool Program. This program serves students of elementary school levels, offering homework coaching, general enrichment, activities and physical play.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan, supervise and implement developmentally appropriate experiences for the Carroll Kids based on the goals of the program.
- Create a consistent learning environment that provides for emotional, cognitive, social and physical growth in children.
- Maintain accurate, up to date records for attendance and parent-student communication.
- Regularly design and share activities to provide choices for safe yet challenging opportunities for students to interact, play, learn, and create.
- Assist with curriculum and program design, as necessary, on an ongoing basis and make quality improvement suggestions to the program coordinator and/or director.
- Occasionally lead field trips and be responsible for off-site supervision and the safe transport of children.
- Communicate on an ongoing basis with all staff members to establish and maintain systems of shared supervision.
- Be a role model to children and staff by maintaining a positive attitude when interacting with children.
- Be a role model to all colleagues to ensure a safe and respectful environment.
- Relate to individual students in a warm and friendly way while maintaining the necessary discipline to serve a group of diverse children in order for them to feel safe, cared for and happy to attend Carroll Kids.
Job Requirements and Successful Candidate Profile:
Individuals with a high school degree who are working towards a bachelor's degree with a major in Child Development, Education, Psychology, English, Math, Sciences, and Social Sciences, etc. are welcome to apply.
Maturity, reliability, a strong sense of safety, an affinity for active engagement, and being a cooperative team player, are essential characteristics required for the above position.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $16.00 to $20.00 /hour
- child care: 1 year (Required)
- french (Required)
- english (Required)