The Systems Administrator is charged with installing, configuring, maintaining, performing upgrades, on multiple open systems and rolling out the organization’s Windows, AIX, Citrix and VMware operating systems and management of the SUNY Downstate Medical Center’s computer resources and provides customer support for n-Tier Open Systems environments.
The incumbent will apply proven communication and problem-solving skills to guide and assist user groups on issues related to the design, development, and deployment of software systems. This position may require flexible scheduling to provide services to other shifts and systems that must remain up weekdays
Other duties/responsibilities include the following:
- Installing and maintaining centralized Citrix application presentation systems.
- Communicates with management & project staff on such matters as budget, departmental IT requirements, policies & procedures, project status, new programs, etc., within time frames specified
- Provide access to information in supporting patient care, education, and research. Provide business process analysis and reengineering whenever possible
- Provide persuasive presentation of value of technology, consensus building, and consulting skills is essential
- Oversees the 3rd party system integrators and subcontractors. Possess the ability to bridge information systems technology to users
- Keeps abreast of current practices, services, relationships and the impact of external factors on the organization(s)
- Installs new software releases, system upgrades
- Evaluates and installs patches
- Resolves software related problems
- Performs system backups/images and recovery
- Monitors system configuration to ensure data integrity
- Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and system administration procedures
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job
- Works under immediate supervision, reports to a manager
- Diagnose and resolve complex problems involving servers, storage
- Ability to work proficiently in UNIX and Windows operating systems environments
- Create user accounts and maintain security levels
- Knowledge of HP Proliant Series Servers, IBM X Series Servers, IBM P series, Windows 2008/2012 (Standard, Enterprise), Active Directory Services (ADS),Microsoft Clustering, Disaster Recovery technologies, Microsoft mirroring.
- Applying operating system updates, and configuration changes
- Installing and configuring new hardware/software
- Answering technical queries
- Responsibility for documenting the configuration of the system
- Troubleshooting any reported problems
- System performance tuning
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE ABOVE POSITION DESCRIPTION
Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience is required. Technical certificates are preferred. A minimum 4 years of experience in computer support services in the Healthcare industry and 2 years solid experience with Windows server and Linux/Unix operating systems required. Knowledge of SANs, Storage(EMC, IBM) highly desirable. Knowledge of SCM6.1 is desirable. Vmware experience a desirable plus. Backup software (Avamar/TSM/Acronis) is highly desirable. Knowledge and experience with Citrix is desired. Excellent teamwork and teambuilding skills.
Excellent interpersonal, written, and/or communication, analytical, and organizational skills with creative approaches to information systems issues and problems, and a demonstrated record of bringing together diverse functions and build effective teams involving all categories of health care employees is a plus.