Do you love true crime and entertainment news? What about trends, viral videos, and social media? We're looking for a News Producer who can deliver live, up to the minute breaking entertainment news stories through a unique lens. Must lead the pack with competitive bookings of newsmakers and show a consistent ability to advance news stories beyond the competition. Must be an expert in following up, tracking down, and finding the untold news stories of the day across all platforms. Reporting to the CO-EP News and Coordinating Producer-True Crime, as well as working closely with our Production teams, this role will be responsible for the execution of daily editorial content covering an array of topics in a variety of forms, from breaking news to red carpets to oversight and execution of package pieces.
From day in and day out producing to press junkets and award shows, this person will be able to work collaboratively to create engaging television. This position will be able to produce in the field and at offsite interviews when needed, source and advance news stories, and work well within a team environment. Must be comfortable working independently across all media including on air, digital, and social media. Should be able to use existing contacts or find opportunities to reach out and connect with newsmakers in coordination with our Booking teams. Also, must have strong communication skills prioritizing shared success within the news team and organization.
Produce original and engaging editorial pieces, including supporting digital content when necessary, for broadcast
Oversee creative segments under the direction of the CO-EP News and Coordinating Producer- True Crime as well as work closely with Production team members to ensure post/deliverables are executed on time
Write scripts and execute story telling visually through the selection of appropriate still and video images within budget and time parameters and while maintaining factual accuracy
Must demonstrate a passion for human interest, true crime, and entertainment news stories while also using social media to find and chase down stories and leads
Work directly with clearance, legal, and other editorial staff to ensure proper communication regarding segment expectations, graphics, clearances, and images
Oversee content from conceptualization through the various stages of execution, to include: Research/ Writing/ Producing/ Post and Voiceover direction.
Identify and pitch story opportunities, finding the unique story angle while maintaining factual accuracy
Basic knowledge of editing desired, willingness to learn is sufficient, with expectation that material can be delivered from producer directly to studio when necessary
Book newsmakers and human-interest stories as necessary and in conjunction with talent bookers
Diligent about production paperwork including shoot reports and music reporting, legal guidelines, journalistic standards, and adhering to the on-air working practices.
Flexibility in role within the team and within the company, including working across multiple formats and departments as needed
Strong communicator who can work closely with team members and talent, take and deliver feedback constructively, and contribute to an environment of communication and accountability
Offer a range of creative paths, where appropriate, as part of the creative development process
Creatively ambitious, willing to take risks and have fun.
Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar role within a television broadcast, news station, network or creative agency environment
- Experience with iNews or ENPS delivery systems preferred
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Willingness to work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
- Must be willing to work in Universal City, California
- Must have work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- A passion for television in general and entertainment news
- Awareness of trends, viral videos, and breaking news across all social media platforms
- A clear understanding of current trends in the industry, social media, OTT, etc.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of production
- Self-motivated with ability to prioritize and multitask a wide range of responsibilities
- Creative thinker with the skills and imagination to produce content that engages viewers including games, transformations, and stories about real people
- Ability to write strong and distinctive copy
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines within a prescribed budget
- Strong interpersonal skills, both in contributing to the creative team as well as in representing the department throughout the company
NBC Ent Business Operations
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.